No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone else had the cold/flu from hell? I've been sick since last Wednesday, and yesterday I wanted to die. And I DID have my flu shot right when JLC said to. I make a really lousy sick person. Whine.

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Odd, but I seldom get sick. And I worked in medicine too where folks would go when sick in the first place.
Odd, but I seldom get sick. And I worked in medicine too where folks would go when sick in the first place.

As one who formerly got sick at the drop of a hat several times a year, I want to thank whomever came up with the idea of hand sanitizer. I am now like Monk, and use it after I shake hands, touch a door knob, touch money, pick up a magazine or book at B&N etc. etc.

Rarely get sick anymore.
As one who formerly got sick at the drop of a hat several times a year, I want to thank whomever came up with the idea of hand sanitizer.
--------------------

I'm sold. I don't get sick very often, but when I do, it's a lulu.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 2
I want to thank whomever came up with the idea of hand sanitizer.

Do you think that if Sean Hannity ever got the Arabs to come around to his point of view, the conversion would be known as the Sand Hannitizer?

--fleg
No. of Recommendations: 2
Do you think that if Sean Hannity ever got the Arabs to come around to his point of view, the conversion would be known as the Sand Hannitizer?

Ughh. Please don't tell us that you'll be here all week.
Very good! lol
And I DID have my flu shot right when JLC said to.

CDC: Flu Spreading Faster--even people who get the flu shot can get sick

http://www2.wjtv.com/news/2013/jan/06/flu-spreading-earlier-...
I once worked with a guy named Wah Choo

Only fella I ever knew that I felt real sympathy for when they got really angry every time someone said 'God Bless You'
My sister is a punster. She comes up with some doozies, too. Good one.
CDC: Flu Spreading Faster--even people who get the flu shot can get sick
--------------

This is depressing.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/reassessing-flu-sho...

I still don't know if I have a cold or the flu. I haven't had flu since 1968 - Hong Kong flu.

I did have a Adenovirus a few years ago, and I was a lot sicken than this. Missed my dulcimer recital - very sad.

arrete
“Why can a man never starve in the Great Desert? Because he can eat the sand which is there. But what brought the sandwiches there? Why, Noah sent Ham, and his descendants mustered and bred.”

Richard Whately
I want to thank whomever came up with the idea of hand sanitizer.

--fleg

-------------

Maybe Fox's Bill O'Reilly can turn the failed Arab Spring around. No need for a hand sanitizer. We need soap. O'Reilly can lead with the Irish Spring.
Oh man sorry to hear this arrete. Flu is horrendous. I'be had strep throat before and that was really bad. But the flu I had in high school took the cake. Totally debilitating.

Hope you get better.
have a few sniffles during the winter.

Dug out the humidifier for the bedroom. It puts about a quart or quart and a half of water into the air each day. Otherwise real dry and sinuses complain. Helps to keep the sniffles down.

Yeah...worst thing is crowds....and buffet places, my favorite eating out places are recipes for bug transmission....every touches the serving handles.

so far so good.

Had my flu shot 2 months ago I think.....

Don't need flu....there's a panic around here.....people hunting down flu shots...the nasal type spray for kids all gone.....but they have the shot kind...the tamiflu is in short supply.....

We're one of the 41 states with a 'flu epidemic'....

I'm avoiding the movie theaters....but did go shopping today.....at the electronics goodie store. Needed some batteries and bought a goodie.

t.
So sorry, arrete! That's miserable. Feel free to whine. Being sick is no fun.

I haven't been sick yet, but almost everybody I know has had something miserable.

Flu shots don't convey 100% immunity, even for the strains in the shot. Then there are always strains of flu floating around that are not in the shot. Getting a flu shot was still the right thing to do.
Don't need flu....there's a panic around here.....people hunting down flu shots...the nasal type spray for kids all gone.....but they have the shot kind...the tamiflu is in short supply.....

It is late to take the flu vaccine by the time there is an epidemic.
"It is late to take the flu vaccine by the time there is an epidemic. "

yep, but there is still 2 or 3 months of normal flu season.... left...

it could help....

t.
girl!!!!!

people are getting sick down here left and right...flu is bad!
Has anyone else had the cold/flu from hell? I've been sick since last Wednesday, and yesterday I wanted to die.

Yes. I started this flu the day after Christmas - the day after I had given my kid a Merry Christmas peck on the mouth. He had been sick, but was getting better so I figured it was safe.

Since that time, I had entered a couple of walk in clinics that were standing room only. Called my primary care doctor for an appointment. He was booked through the week. Thought about an E.R., but that would have been an idiotic move. Finally called my doc's office back and the girl said she'd speak to him. She called back saying he'd authorized a prescription at my pharmacy. DH picked it up, but had to pay full price. We were shocked. He had to call Tricare the next day to let them know we didn't have our old insurance anymore. We got a refund from the pharmacy after they ran the charge through again. Pain, and more pain.

As of now, I'm weak as a newborn kitten, but the fever is gone, the cough is going away and my sinuses are clearing up. This illness, whatever it is, has a tummy component to it, as well. Not fun.

Hope you are back to your normal self soon. Me, too.

b.
Yikes, buffalogal, I'm glad you are getting better. That sounds awful.
Yikes, buffalogal, I'm glad you are getting better. That sounds awful.
-------------

Yes, me too. No wonder we hadn't heard from you. I don't think mine is that bad - ifeel better today, so far ...

The plus side is that I've lost 3 pounds. Food just isn't that interesting. And another early night.

The plus side is that Miss Jackie has had a wonderful time burying under the covers. Humans sleeping during the day! What could be better!

arrete
As of now, I'm weak as a newborn kitten, but the fever is gone, the cough is going away and my sinuses are clearing up.

The only thing that will really help a cold or flu is plenty of rest. My self-directed remedy is two Excedrin PM (or similar) for fever and a shot of Nyquil. (Make sure you're ready to climb into bed because you'll feel woozy rather immediately.)

When you do get up, drink plenty of fluids but, mainly, sleep as much as you can.
My self-directed remedy is two Excedrin PM (or similar) for fever and a shot of Nyquil.
----------------

I wish I could take that, but it makes me barf. Dextromethorphan doesn't work for me.

arrete
Dextromethorphan doesn't work for me.

arrete

Umm, what are you expecting it to do? If dextromethorphan is in Nyquil, of COURSE it's not going to work. Dextromethorphan never, ever works in combination formulas. It does not work by design.

Or are you saying that dextromethorphan makes you barf?
Or are you saying that dextromethorphan makes you barf?
---------------

Yep.

arrete
Dextromethorphan doesn't work for me.

Rats! It's good stuff.
DH and I are sharing one laptop. Sigh. I told him to go out tomorrow and get his own. It's hard keeping up with an active board. I kind of gave up. It's surreal with all the name changes going on, as well.
When you do get up, drink plenty of fluids but, mainly, sleep as much as you can.

Well advised. Thanks, CC.
Dextromethorphan never, ever works in combination formulas.

Couldn't prove it by me. NyQuil puts me out quickly and I'm not coughing when I'm sleeping.

The liquid version of NyQuil Cold/Flu Multi-symptom Relief contains the following active ingredients (15 mL is one tablespoon, which is half the recommended adult dose):

Acetaminophen (325 mg/15 mL) (pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan (15 mg/15 mL) (cough suppressant)
Doxylamine succinate (6.25 mg/15 mL) (antihistamine/hypnotic)

Excedrin PM, the first headache and sleeping pill combined product, contains 500 mg acetaminophen and 38 mg diphenhydramine citrate as a sleep aid.

If you don't have a headache, you can now get ZzzQuil. It contains diphenhydramine HCl (50 mg) but Excedrin PM (or generic equivalent) is cheaper.
Humans sleeping during the day! What could be better!

Humans wiggling under the covers.
Preventative measures to ward off illness:

1. Take one zinc tablet daily, double dose when you FIRST feel a scratch in your throat. Zinc helps build a strong immune system. Taking zinc after you have already caught a cold or other illness doesn't help.

2. Use hand sanitizer. I have a small bottle that I put in my clock pouch on my jeans. Anytime I come into contact (outside of the house) with anything or anybody, I take it out, squirt some on, and wipes my hands all over. If someone sneezes in my general area, I take out the sanitizer, put some on the tips of my fingers and insert and rub around the inside of my nose.

As I said before, I got sick all of the time before doing the above, and if I got a cold, I was out for days in bed.

Works for me. YMMV

Good luck and speedy recovery.

Monk Jr.
"It is late to take the flu vaccine by the time there is an epidemic. "

yep, but there is still 2 or 3 months of normal flu season.... left...

it could help....

t.

True, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for it to reach full effectiveness. It is better to take it earlier.
it takes about 4 to 6 weeks for it to reach full effectiveness. It is better to take it earlier.

Of course it's better to take it earlier, but anyone who hasn't had it should still go get it. We have a LONG time before the end of flu season.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm
Does flu vaccine work right away?
No. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against influenza virus infection.
Dextromethorphan never, ever works in combination formulas. It does not work by design. - Cello

---------------

I hardly ever get sick. Injuries are more my thing. It has been perhaps ten years since I had a cold or the flu, but if necessary, I always thought max dextromethorphan was mainstream advice in OTC. Has something changed or some new research or something? Would you mind expanding a little on what you are saying here?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Would you mind expanding a little on what you are saying here?

CC says Nyquil is different, but all of the other combination cough formulas I have ever looked at contained insufficient quantities of dextromethorphan to have any effect whatsoever on a cough. It makes zero sence to me, but that's the way they formulate those things. However, if you buy dextromethorphan alone, you can get the property dosage. For adults, that is at least 30 ml. Formulas containing less than 30 ml of dex should contain zero, because it would have the same effect. Why take something that isn't going to help you?

That stuff is nasty tasting, which may be why arrete barfs (or maybe it just doesn't agree with her). I know of few things that taste as disgusting as dex. My advice, if you need to suppress a cough, get the gel caps.

I'm going to take credit for the gel caps. Many years ago, I called the makers of Robitussin, and I told them that dextromethorphan tastes disgusting, and the customer service representative agreed with me. Then I said that Robitussin should make it in a gel cap, and could she please pass that on to marketing? She promised to do so, and a few years later, gel caps appeared--Robitussin made them first! I'm sure it was my suggestion that did it. ;)
"Has anyone else had the cold/flu from hell? I've been sick since last Wednesday, and yesterday I wanted to die. And I DID have my flu shot right when JLC said to. I make a really lousy sick person. Whine." -
arrete

Eat lots of hot sauce. The hot sauce part will clear out your sinuses and the capsaicin will stimulate your brain to produce endorphins that will make you feel better. Eat hot peppers three times a day if you can. Seriously it will make you feel better.

Also take tylenol to help relieve fever and inflammation and drink hot tea because it has theophylline in it which dilates your sinuses and makes it easier to breath. Either black tea or green tea will work fine.

and drink plenty of liquids. Diet Coke used to make me feel better. The fizz and CO2 and caffeine sort of help rinse out the congestion (phlegm) back in your throat and the phosphoric acid helps lyse and kill bacteria and viruses. Bacteria don't grow well in an acidic environment and coke has a pH of like 3.4. The cold also helped the inflammation of my throat feel better.

When we had a sore throat my mom used to give us crushed ice with lemon and sugar on it. If you don't want the sugar use equal or some other artificial sweetener.

Art
Bacteria don't grow well in an acidic environment and coke has a pH of like 3.4.

This was the premise on which Linus Pauling based his theory that megadoses of Vitamin C would prevent colds and flu. He said the body's cells saturated with Vitamin C would make the body inhospitable to colds and flu viruses.

As one who formerly got sick at the drop of a hat several times a year, I want to thank whomever came up with the idea of hand sanitizer. I am now like Monk, and use it after I shake hands, touch a door knob, touch money, pick up a magazine or book at B&N etc. etc.

Rarely get sick anymore.

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2012-12-03 last two panels in particular
Bacteria don't grow well in an acidic environment and coke has a pH of like 3.4.
-----------
This was the premise on which Linus Pauling based his theory that megadoses of Vitamin C would prevent colds and flu. He said the body's cells saturated with Vitamin C would make the body inhospitable to colds and flu viruses.
===========

I met Linus Pauling once. He had just made a flap in the news about his vit C theory. But he was there to talk about whatever he won the Nobel prize for, IIRC.

arrete
Yep, that's me.
Eat lots of hot sauce. The hot sauce part will clear out your sinuses and the capsaicin will stimulate your brain to produce endorphins that will make you feel better. ... drink hot tea because it has theophylline in it which dilates your sinuses and makes it easier to breath. Either black tea or green tea will work fine.

and drink plenty of liquids. Diet Coke used to make me feel better. The fizz and CO2 and caffeine sort of help rinse out the congestion (phlegm) back in your throat and the phosphoric acid helps lyse and kill bacteria and viruses.
---------------

Thannks, Art. I put Tabasco in my chicken soup for breakfast. That worked pretty well. I am trying to drink tea, I can only have a couple of cups because of the caffeine - hard on my tummy. I had a Coke Zero yesterday for the first time since I was sick. Poured it over ice. I don't know why I didn't think of that before - it felt really good. The biggest problem is that I just don't feel like eating. Lost 4 ounds or something. The worst day was Saturday. Now I just feel like a wrung out dish rag with a middling sore throat.

BTW, you can make a very acceptable chicken soup with little effort:

Saute onions, celery, and a bit of carrot for color. Add a box of chicken broth. And black pepper, And Tabasco <g>. And bits of chicken if you want - works either way. I don't even add salt, and the broth is the low sodium variety.

arrete
"Thanks, Art. I put Tabasco in my chicken soup for breakfast. That worked pretty well. I am trying to drink tea, I can only have a couple of cups because of the caffeine - hard on my tummy. I had a Coke Zero yesterday for the first time since I was sick. Poured it over ice. I don't know why I didn't think of that before - it felt really good. The biggest problem is that I just don't feel like eating. Lost 4 pounds or something. The worst day was Saturday. Now I just feel like a wrung out dish rag with a middling sore throat.

BTW, you can make a very acceptable chicken soup with little effort:

Saute onions, celery, and a bit of carrot for color. Add a box of chicken broth. And black pepper, And Tabasco <g>. And bits of chicken if you want - works either way. I don't even add salt, and the broth is the low sodium variety." - arrete

------------------

Thanks arrete. I'm glad my suggestions were helpful. I forgot about chicken soup. Good suggestion. Any way you can get fluids into yourself it's good; and I know you are trying to cut down on carbohydrates. The potassium from the chicken bones should be good for you. I'm betting there are all kinds of minerals and micronutrients in the broth that should be helpful in supporting your immune system.

You know what else might be good? Stuff from the ocean like Nori seaweed wraps, clams, oysters, shrimp, ocean fish - because I think they have a lot of trace minerals in them from living in seawater that might be helpful in restoring your bodies natural balance? Maybe a fish soup with shrimp and clams in it and add a little bit of seaweed to the broth also? I like that sort of stuff anyway.

Art
You know what else might be good? Stuff from the ocean like Nori seaweed wraps, clams, oysters, shrimp, ocean fish - because I think they have a lot of trace minerals in them
---------------

Excellent. I'm getting shrimp creole for dinner. <g>

arrete
I once worked with a guy named Wah Choo

Only fella I ever knew that I felt real sympathy for when they got really angry every time someone said 'God Bless You'

I went to school with a girl whose last name was Hiteshew. The kids used to make fun of her name by making a sneezing sound.
I went to school with a girl whose last name was Hiteshew. The kids used to make fun of her name by making a sneezing sound.

Poor Wah, the adults used to do it to him!

I think a lot of us never grow up. Fortunately Wah owned the company that we worked with, so I am pretty sure based on the checks I wrote to his firm, that when folks said God Bless You, he just thought to himself, yes he has, yes he has.
When we had a sore throat my mom used to give us crushed ice with lemon and sugar on it. If you don't want the sugar use equal or some other artificial sweetener.

My grandmother used to make hot water with lemon and honey. As a kid I wasn't used to honey and so to me that concoction tasted nasty.
My grandmother used to make hot water with lemon and honey. As a kid I wasn't used to honey and so to me that concoction tasted nasty.
>>I once worked with a guy named Wah Choo<<

I went to school with a girl whose last name was Hiteshew. The kids used to make fun of her name by making a sneezing sound. - andrew

----------------------

There was a Vietnamese guy in our office whose name was Long Thang. Still makes me smile...
There was a Vietnamese guy in our office whose name was Long Thang. Still makes me smile...

Too much information <grin>
"I wonder what Pu$$y Galore had to put up with when growing up with a name like that."
Bond, James Bond
"There was a Vietnamese guy in our office whose name was Long Thang. Still makes me smile..." - Andrew
---------------

Funniest line in a movie.......

From 16 Candles, "What's your name?? "Long Duk Dong"

"I've never been so happy in my whole life! Now I got someplace to put my hand."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBL1BhSJCo&playnext=1&am...

Art
Dextromethorphan never, ever works in combination formulas. It does not work by design. - Cello

---------------

I hardly ever get sick. Injuries are more my thing. It has been perhaps ten years since I had a cold or the flu, but if necessary, I always thought max dextromethorphan was mainstream advice in OTC. Has something changed or some new research or something? Would you mind expanding a little on what you are saying here?
bhm

>>>>>>>>

my theory is because of all that milk you drink has the residual antibiotics from the cows. :)

---------------

bhm

>>>>>>>>

my theory is because of all that milk you drink has the residual antibiotics from the cows. :) - LD

----------------------------

I never thought of it that away. Those extra hormones may explain the man boobs too...
I never thought of it that away. Those extra hormones may explain the man boobs too...

At this point in the day, I can't spend any more recs, but may I say, fun-neee!

At this point in the day, I can't spend any more recs, but may I say, fun-neee! - CC

---------------

heh. thanks CC. A personal testimonial is more rewarding than an anonymous rec anyway.

---------------

bhm

>>>>>>>>

my theory is because of all that milk you drink has the residual antibiotics from the cows. :) - LD

----------------------------

bhm

>>>>>>>>>
well, then I recced you as well and therefore that gives me the license to cry out in New Orleans fashion "show your boobs" "show your boobs" :) I have some Mardi Gras beads for ya :)
Advertisement