Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9947  
Subject: Re: A school board member takes the 10th grade t Date: 12/13/2011 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
AcmeFool, I agree with you to decent degree. They certainly could be very good supplemental tools, but maybe still primary tools that then allow the teacher to focus on individual needs. I am not a teacher, so don't have the same insight of course.

Unfortunately, there are not very many people that truly understand math. Few of those people are able to communicate what they know. And only a tiny portion of that group is willing to give up the money they can earn elsewhere. Especially to do a job that is frequently thankless (or worse).

So that is part of the problem. Few people can sing well, but I can go to iTunes and find the ones that do, I don't have to hope I get lucky with my local garage band. I believe this can be applied to learning at different levels to different extents.

In the end good teachers should get paid competitive salaries, but then I have to go to competitiveness. I feel I am a strong worker with a great work ethic. There are few weeks a year when I only work 40 hours. I come in on weekends occasionally to catch up. I bet good teachers do this too, but I am well rewarded for it. My boss recognizes both my work effort and value added and is able to give me good raises. If I got the same raise as someone else that did not work as hard, I would slow down. So as a teacher, I can't imagine what it is like to be great and work harder only to get the same standard raise as someone that doesn't. I don't know what it is like in your school system, but here in DC it is well known as a cesspool of cronyism, union stonewalling and malaise. Bad teachers can only be moved around to harm other kids in other schools, or to become part of the bloated bureaucracy.

Well, a bit sorry for the rant, but it pains me to see people like you that obviously care and try hard and make a sacrifice, only to see all that other junk happen. Anyway, keep fighting the good fight, may technology be your tool of triumph.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement