Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82384  
Subject: Acorn Squash Date: 10/2/2012 9:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is a new one for me. I've never tried it. I read a recipe that cut both ends off, cleaned out the seeds and pulp and stuffed a stick of butter into the cavity, followed with filling the rest of the cavity with brown sugar.

That seemed kind of lame to me, as I *think* the butter will pretty much just melt from the squash cavity into the smoker. This one seems better, as the ends aren't cut off and halving the squash makes 2 bowls that will better hold the butter and brown sugar: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-acorn-sq...

I'll probably cook it on my WSM at lower temps and slower/longer... I'll probably wrap it in some AL foil after it's smoked for a while, to help meld the ingredients and flavors together and make it more tender.

Any suggestions or other recipes would be very welcomed - I have 3 Acorn Squash to work with. I don't want to do them all the same way and would be interested in types of wood or wood chips to use, cooking times, temps and other ingredients.

Thanks,
Bob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77713 of 82384
Subject: Re: Acorn Squash Date: 10/2/2012 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I'm quite sure that putting a squash on a WSM violates the warranty.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77759 of 82384
Subject: Re: Acorn Squash Date: 10/8/2012 4:32 AM
Recommendations: 0
I'm quite sure that putting a squash on a WSM violates the warranty.

pfft <g>

My experience with Weber's warranty of their smoker has been outstanding. They sent me replacement vent covers and a replacement water bowl, w/o any charge, including any shipping charge, after I bent/broke off the tabs on the vent adjusters washing it and the finish on the water pan wrinkled, when I fell asleep and it boiled dry. I like the original water pan better - cleaned it up and it works fine. The newer water pan is deeper - I don't fill it very full with liquids, when I use it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement