Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Actually, according to RevRul 93-86, Ltr Rul 9536012 (PLR) 6/7/95, ISP 145 and Analysis Sec 27.3, "If employment away from home in a single location initially is realistically expected to last for 1 year or less, but at some later date the employment is realistically expected to exceed 1 year that employment will be treated as temporary (in absence of facts and circumstances indicating otherwise) until the date the realitic expectation changed. Thus, if the employment is away from home and temporary, it meets the business connection requirement."

Additionally, another of the "tests" you have met..."If it is found that the employee has a tax home (i.e., the employee has either a regular or principal place of business or, failing that, an abode in a real and substantial sense)..."

My opinion would be you can take the expenses up to the time you were informed you had to extend your stay.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.