Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: evetommy Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15585  
Subject: Re: Yahoo's leadership problem Date: 11/8/2001 4:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Actually I don't think Yahoo! will be sold at all. I think Yahoo! is likely to do some small take overs of their own.

As for Terry Semmel. I do like what I've seen so far, a focus on profitable e-commerce solutions, on online broadcasting AND entertainment which IS his business after all. (Marketing deals for Disney & Sony movies, buying tickets online & integrating the entertainment sites better).

The thing I agree too, is that it's going a bit slow and it may seem too little in this bad climate. However Terry Semmel is right when he says Yahoo! is perfectly placed when online advertising starts to pick up again.

A small list of what Yahoo's been doing:
* Taking over Launch.com.
* Selling movie tickets online.
* Launching Yahoo! Essentials, placing Yahoo! on the desktop.
* The new Yahoo! shopping featuring Yahoo! Warehouse.
* New feestructure and features for Yahoo! shopping.
* New sales team & several new managers.
* Many high profile advertisements on Yahoo!'s main page lately.
* New Y! Messenger featuring IMenvironments(making the messenger a marketing tool) + new companion.
* New broadcast solutions.
* New business services.
* Lots of new premium services.
* Lots of small changes & additions in several parts of the Yahoo! platform: eg. interlinking Y! Music, Y! Movies, Y! TV, Y! Games, integrating Y! shopping, adding sitemaps (so people can finally check out ALL Y! services if they want to)...
* Axing services Y! Player & Y! Living + sale of Y! Webring.
* Several user surveys for new services incl. Online office software, broadband acces for small businesses, selling&buying stocks through Y! finance and a possible partner,...
* Experimenting with new interactive ad formats which should give Y! a premium. (mouse over buttons, flash animations, "open-up" banners, advertising buttons added to companion, IMenvironments...)

What's been promised?
* Further restructuring.
* Better integration & bundling of Y! Premium services to make them more attractive.
* Launch of Yahoo! Paydirect globally which should ensure growth in sales on their e-commerce platform globally.
* Compaq adding Y! Essentials to their PC's from early 2002.
* Pressplay.
* More premium services.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement