UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63235  
Subject: Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Date: 12/13/2011 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Actually, I got multiple signed copies for my family for Christmas. ;-)

I'm totally jealous! Actually, after making that post, I remembered that I loaned my copy of the book out to one of the guys on my ship and the b@stard never returned it! GRrr. That book, aside from the personal growth filler, was much better at detailing the science than the next two, which were much more sensational, imho, and not worth the read.

Humans can become accustomed to anything given enough time and exposure. As you intimated however, it affects your dealings with others in that anything less than total catastrophe seems inconsequential. My family has often commented on my "lack of feeling" when confronted with some emotional event. Thankfully my wife experienced much of what I've been exposed to with me so she has the same attitude.

Completely not of the same scale, but I've heard this from many walks of life. An old coworker of mine was also a cop in a major city in VA, and he said after seeing so many traffic accidents, during a later one, the head of the victim went flying out of the car. For some strange reason, they found it kind of funny and took pictures with the head. They were over/desensitized to the "some human just died" part and were only focusing on the details of how it came about (which I don't recall so I didn't provide here, but which I could understand since it was quite rube goldberg in nature).

-spookysquid
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement