No. of Recommendations: 0
Actually I prefer recording programs on DVR and watching from there rather than buying DVD's.

My preferences, from top preference, are:

1. Blu-ray disc. I own a few (just a very few ... checking ... the Star Wars saga (6 movies + several bonus discs), but I have started a wish list because if I really enjoy a movie, I am finding that often Netflix doesn't have the disc 10 years later). I also rent a fair number from Netflix.

2. DVD. I own more DVDs, most purchased before I had a HDTV, but I also rent a lot of DVDs from Netflix (many titles only on DVD on Netflix, some titles have Blu-rays on long wait but DVD immediately available or short wait). Unlike a cable channel, there is no logo in one corner, no hash tag in another corner, no animation on the bottom third of the screen advertising some show they just advertised five minutes ago.

3. Streaming. The detail streaming to my HDTV's Netflix App could be sharper than DVD but if there is action or in some cases just panning of the camera the results are worse than if I were watching a DVD or Blu-ray.

The above are usually enjoyed on the 50-in Vizio "Smart TV" (1080-line, 120Hz refresh rate, LED back-lit LCD) in my "Man Cave".

What follows is enjoyed (to tolerated) on my 32-in LG TV (LED edge-lit LCD, 60Hz refresh rate, 768-line which means everything is rescaled by that TV: even 720p content has to be upscaled to 768p60):

4. HD channels. There are both 720p channels and 1080i channels and the picture is clearest when the HD DVR passes the original video format to the TV and let the TV do all the rescaling; otherwise, if the HD DVR did any rescaling, the picture would go through double-rescaling, which degrades the picture enough that I notice it. Most of the HD channels I receive also have SD channels for customers who have a set-top box but not HD service so, where I have both, my recording is almost always the HD channel. (The rare exception would be if the HD and SD feeds are from different time zones and both tuners on the HD DVR are already committed to recording other channels.)

5. SD channels. Yes, there are some SD channels I regularly watch because those don't have HD feeds and I want to watch some shows or movies on them anyway. But because they are digital, the image is nice and crisp, and video glitches are far less visible on a 32-in screen than on a 50-in screen.

6. There are two shows on the local public access channel that I catch, but not only is that public access channel SD, they don't even use all the lines of an SD signal so the shows don't even fill the vertical height of the screen. Nonetheless, occasionally The Midnight Movie will show a rare gem and that would be the only way I can watch it.

7. That 32-in TV also has a DVD player/VCR combo unit connected to it and I have played an occasional DVD on it. Some day when I finally unbox the VHS tapes since moving here ... 15 years ago this month ... I may play one of those VHS tapes. (Top one on my mind is "Forbidden Planet", and that is on my wish list for getting a Blu-ray; having as much detail as possible in the original aspect ratio is far better than a deteriorating VHS tape in pan-and-scan.) More likely I'll check the VHS cassettes and if they are still good, see if one of the local thrift shops would like them, and any title I am still interested in I'll see about replacing it with Blu-ray or DVD. I know that at least one of them was a tape I just wanted to rent, but that video store was having a going-out-of-business sale and they were selling VHS cassettes for less than what they normally charged for a one-night rental.

Actually, the DVD/VCR combo unit is a leftover from when I had analog channels and I would use two VCRs to record shows for time-shifting purposes and use a third VCR for playback. One day one of the VCRs died and I couldn't find a VCR locally, but I did find several DVD/VCR combo units, so the VCR used for playback was repurposed for recording and the DVD/VCR combo put in service for playing the tapes. A little over a year later Comcast killed all the analog channels on October 9, 2012, and on that very day I went to the Xfinity (Comcast) store, picked up a HD DVR (2 tuners, 80 hours HD programming capacity) and got the "Digital Starter Package" (has most channels I would be interested in), stopped by Bi-Mart on the way home and got the 32-in 768p TV, and that night didn't miss a beat on recording shows in HD that the VCRs were programmed to record in SD analog. (TV? The TV I was using in that room had serious orange halos on one side of every bright object on the screen and was just about worthless for watching anything. I had already decided to replace it but I hadn't pulled the trigger on that until the day the analog died.) And after viewing all the VHS cassettes I used for time-shifting, I kept that DVD/VCR combo for playing DVDs for the 32-in TV.

My one major regret is that I didn't do this years earlier.

PS: I still have a bulk eraser (so the VHS cassettes used for time-shifting wouldn't have ghosts of previous recordings) and a tape rewinder. They have seen very little use in the past couple of years.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement