Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56035  
Subject: Re: Cookbooks for Christmas Date: 12/16/1999 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Actually I think that the smaller sized shrimp taste better than the jumbo shrimp. The best tasting shrimp that I remember having were from Greenland, probably 120 to the pound. Shrimp that small were a royal pain to peel but the meat was the sweetest I have ever eaten.

For 2 or 3 people;

Shrimp & Pasta

2/3 - 1 pound shrimp shelled & deveined
½ oz tasso cut razor thin and sliced into 1 inch strips
1 small or ½ medium onion, cut in half and sliced thin
2-4 button mushrooms, lay on caps and slice, turn 90 degrees and slice
1 large clove of garlic
¼ - ½ teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley
2 - 3 leaves of Thai basil, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/8 inch strips
1 - 2 green onions sliced with green and white slices separated
Creole seasoning and/or salt, black and red pepper
olive oil
Pecorino Romano cheese
Cooked pasta such as angel hair, vermicelli or fettuccini for 2 - 3 servings.

1. Heat 1 - 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan (I use a wok w/non stick coating. The only birds in the house are still in the freezer Tera except for the one I'm defrosting in the fridge.) When it shimmers, add ½ of the tasso. Cook over high heat ½ - 1 minute and add shrimp. Cook shrimp over fairly high heat 1 - 2 minutes, turn shrimp on other side and cook another 1 - 2 minutes. When shrimp start to expel liquid, remove to small bowl.
2. Reheat pan (wok) and add 1 - 2 tablespoons more oil. When hot, add the rest of the tasso. Cook over high heat ½ minute and add onion. Lower heat to medium - high and cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook.
3. When mushrooms start to expel some liquid, add oregano, white slices of the green onion and, using a press, the garlic.
4. Continue to cook until the onions and mushrooms are soft. Add parsley, basil, green onion and shrimp.
5. Bring heat up to high and add Creole seasoning or salt & peppers to taste. When the shrimp are hot, add pasta.
6. Continue to heat while tossing shrimp & pasta until everything is hot and some of the extra liquid has evaporated. Grate on cheese to taste and serve.

Notes; If you don't have tasso, leave it out. It adds a smoky taste that
I enjoy. If you don't have the Pecorino Romano cheese, use any other hard grating cheese. Buy it in hunks, grate it as needed and store it in the refrigerator or, if you only use it twice a year, in the freezer. Don't get the pregrated stuff that you find on the shelves of the supermarket. It has no taste. Change the amount of herbs, spices and garlic to your own taste. Don't overcook the shrimp!!! 1 minute per side is usually plenty.

Good luck.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

What Can PMCS Do For Skyworks?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.