Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Actually, your problem isn't all that difficult to solve. You have two choices. Either you claim to be a part-year resident of CA and a part-year resident of AZ, or you are a full year resident of AZ with out-of-state earnings in CA.

If you choose the latter, you report all your income to the federal government. You then complete your CA non-resident return, reporting $2.5K of CA income since that is what your employer is reporting to CA that you earned there. I'm not familiar with the CA non-resident return, but there are two common ways to determine your NR tax, (1) based on income earned in-state or (2) based on all income earned everywhere times the ratio of in-state income to total income. Method (2) produces a higher tax and is used in NY and NJ (the two states I am most familiar with). Finally, you complete your AZ return, reporting all your income earned everywhere. AZ probably will give you a credit against your income tax for part or all of the tax you paid to CA. Look carefully, because the credit may be on a different form.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.