UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31089  
Subject: African Violets Question Date: 10/6/2012 9:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife has had African violets in pots in the house for years. She tries to keep them watered -- but not overwatered -- and fertilized, and with enough sun.

One plant has developed a problem, however: It blooms, looks healthy, etc., but several leaves around the outer edge are all turning YELLOW, almost WHITE. They do not look brown or shriveling or dead; they just seem to look anemic.

Cause? Solution?

Thanks!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30328 of 31089
Subject: Re: African Violets Question Date: 10/6/2012 3:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My African Violets are having a terrible year too. I have lost many of them with similar conditions, even though I have had success with them for years. I thought I might have introduced a disease to them from buying a new one or perhaps from contaminated soil, etc.

Or I notice the drought this year gave us summers day with 30% humidity outside, while 90+% is the norm (makes the corn grow, you know). So perhaps keeping them well watered in low humidity has been a source of the problem. I keep the soil moist, but that may not be enough.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30330 of 31089
Subject: Re: African Violets Question Date: 10/6/2012 3:44 PM
Thanks. I'll pass that info on to my wife.

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30336 of 31089
Subject: Re: African Violets Question Date: 10/11/2012 9:13 AM
Paul:

This is the "sister" plant to another one we have in an adjacent room (she divided two plants that came together 3 years ago), and the other one is still doing fine. Weird.

We still wonder why....

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement