Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FritzSeifart Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30782  
Subject: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/21/2004 2:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 49
Dear Fellow Fools,

27 years ago, nearly to the day, I started on a low-carb, lowered fat diet. I needed to do something, because at 6' 1" my weight was 357 pounds, blood pressure 200/105. I can't remember the values of the other indicies of health; no matter, I knew if I didn't do something I would shortly be dead.

Presently, I weigh 198 pounds. My blood pressure is 110 / 65 to 75, and values of other indicies of health are in the normal range.

I do not work out, although there certainly isn't anything wrong with exercise. I just think that the additional time one adds to one's life by exercising is the same amount as the time spent engaged in exercise. I guess I exercise regularly, just wallk about a mile or so daily.

My diet is based upon these rules:

Grill, broil, and steam are the best methods of cooking.
Use olive oil, peanut oil, or some other unprocessed oil for cooking.
Eat lots of good green vegetables.
Eat lean meats, fish and poultry.
Eat fruits in moderation.
Stay away from processed foods, especially margarine and any other of the substitutes for butter.
Drink water, coffee and tea. Artificially sweetened carbonated beverages can't be good for you either. Aren't some of the ingredients suspected carcinogens?
Limit all forms of sugar in your diet.
Eat a little bit of CHOCOLATE every day. CHOCOLATE is a food group. You NEED some every day. Get the kind with the lowest sugar and processed oil content you can find. Enjoy in moderation.

The only cure for the pain of birth and the sorrow of death is the enjoyment of everything in between. I plan to enjoy as much as I can.

Fool On!

Fritz Seifart-Cooper
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17582 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/21/2004 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 0
Great post!! Thanks for the inspiration.

I do have a question about this:

Eat a little bit of CHOCOLATE every day. CHOCOLATE is a food group. You NEED some every day. Get the kind with the lowest sugar and processed oil content you can find. Enjoy in moderation.

Why???

Author: Sparkle13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17583 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/21/2004 2:27 PM
Congrats! 27 years? That is incredible. Your post should definately be included in the success stories in the FAQ! I also had to smile about your chocolate comment. That is one of my mottos as well, partly because I love it and depriving myself would only make me want it ALL the time. The other reason is because in moderation, chocolate (especially dark) has health benefits. Keep on enjoying your lifestyle, and thanks for the inspiring post.
Stacie

Author: FritzSeifart Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17584 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/21/2004 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
Thank you for your kind remarks. Everyone needs a reward system. Mine is a bit of chocolate. In addition, it is a good idea to have an avocation that absorbs your time. Idle hands are truly the Devil's tools.

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17585 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/21/2004 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
Thank you for your kind remarks. Everyone needs a reward system. Mine is a bit of chocolate.

Ah ha, makes sense! I am really not that much of a chocolate lover (nothing wrong with it, I just don't ever really crave it or adore it the way some people do). I was wondering if I was missing something major about its benefits. Agreed, areward system is definitely important.

In addition, it is a good idea to have an avocation that absorbs your time. Idle hands are truly the Devil's tools.

Absolutely - and thanks for the reminder. I am just starting to really learn how much better life in general is when you're not "looking" for something to do, but doing something you enjoy or at least that's productive.

I forgot to mention, I liked your comments about exercise, too! If you can combine a hobby with exercise, I notice it's so much easier and doesn't feel like a time consuming "chore." I spent about 5 hours gardening this weekend, and boy was I sore from all the digging, planting, etc. I felt a little silly the next day when I was regretting "missing" my exercise time, then realized that I could barely even stand up from all the muscle soreness in my legs. I am sure I got plenty of workout from the gardening, and as a bonus I have a lovely flower bed to look at! Kind of the exercise, avocation, and reward all built into one.

Author: andryia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17590 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/22/2004 10:40 AM
Recommendations: 3
You've done this 27 years and your internal organs haven't liquified yet? You must not be a *true* low-carber. ;-)

Andrea

Author: FritzSeifart Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17596 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/22/2004 5:52 PM
Recommendations: 7
"You've done this 27 years and your internal organs haven't liquified yet? You must not be a *true* low-carber. ;-)"

Dear Andrea,

Thank you for your concern about my health. To address your implied questions, low carb, not no carb. My internal organs are just fine, thank you very much; I do have a sigmoidoscopy done biannually. Sorry to say that I have never seen any external organs that could be affected by my diet. If I find any, I will certainly let you know.

The entire point of my eating habits is to control blood sugar. That is the point of every good eating plan, whatever the name.

To ammend my list of cooking techniques, it is quite acceptable to saute. I love fresh spinach sauteed with garlic and a bit of oregano using olive oil. Shrimp scampi, fresh snapper, grouper or dolphin sauteed lightly with just the right spices (my secret). And no, I am NOT cooking Flipper, its mahi-mahi to you landlubbers. I met Flipper on opening day at the Miami Seaquarium on Virginia Key in Biscayne Bay, June 1959. Yes I am THAT old.

And pick an avocation that consumes your exercise time, as Delta Dog has done with her gardening. I garden and love music, and play guitar, piano and sing a bit. My gardening, as well as our 5, 7 and 9 year old children take my time on the weekends. I take a guitar with me during my weekly travels, as practice playing and singing is great relaxation.

Some complex carbohydrate based foods I eat:

Old Fasioned (not Quick) Oatmeal, made from pure rolled oats. Great with just a tiny bit of butter and some Splenda, or saccarine (Heaven protect us from Nutra Sweet). Wonderful on a cold morning.

Low sugar, whole grain bread, made without the partially hydrogenated oils. I prefer my own bread.

Pasta made with whole wheat flour.

Remember, this advice is not new - nothing really is. According to Chapter 11, Verse 1 of the Mishmash of Hasidic Druidism:
The key is temperance; which is moderation in all good things and abstinence in all evil things". And no, I am not a Druid however I imagine them to be an enlightened and generous people.

Sincerely,

Fritz

Author: quincecat Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17732 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/30/2004 9:05 AM
Fritz,

Just curious - why not 'quick' oatmeal? Are there questionable ingredients?

Quince

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17733 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/30/2004 9:12 AM
Recommendations: 3

Not Fritz, but quick oatmeal has been processed and is more refined. Probably fewer nutrients/fiber and absorbed more quickly causing a potential blood sugar spike.

Many believe closer to nature is better, including myself.

IP

Author: FritzSeifart Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17749 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/30/2004 3:52 PM
If you examine the ingredients label, there is a significant difference in the type of carbohydrates, if I recall correctly. It has been SO many years since I ever had quick oatmeal that I can't remember exactly.

Regards,
Fritz

Author: Rocannon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17752 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 4/30/2004 5:31 PM
quincecat,

To my eye, there is *no* difference between Quick and Old-Fashioned oatmeal. Perhaps the OP was confusing Quick with Instant. Please check the labels for yourself:

Instant: http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/Products/IQO/IQO-Regular.cfm
Old-Fashioned: http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/Products/SQO/SQO-OldFashioned.cfm
Quick: http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/Products/SQO/SQO-QuickOats.cfm

This topic came up over on the Weight Lifting Fools board a little while ago,
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20633754&sort=whole#20638525

Rocannon

Author: starcrossed One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17916 of 30782
Subject: Re: After 27 years, I can say it works Date: 5/9/2004 3:05 PM

I remember reading an article (articles?) many years ago about the virtues of oats/porridge. It went something along these lines:

Oats contains a gluten (or some ingredient) that protects against heart disease. In Scotland, until the advent of convenience foods, heart disease was relatively unknown. The Scots ate the stuff in prodigious amounts – there was even rival in Britain to Quaker Oats called Scots Oats. Then, 35 to 45 years ago, the Scots abandoned their traditional breakfast for more trendy garbage offered by Kellogg's et al and acquired in the transition the highest incidence of heart disease in the world.

Nuf said

kind regards

geoff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement