UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308225  
Subject: Re: Such a Mess I've Made... Date: 12/13/2007 12:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
After a couple of months of lurking, I’m finally getting serious about my situation and I’ve taken the time and energy to look at the reality of the mess that I’ve created.

To begin, we probably make enough money to live very conservatively, but comfortably.
My DH takes home $2444 biweekly, I make $1000 per month. We have teen daughters, 14 and 16, and we homeschool, which in our case means that the oldest takes classes at the local community college, the younger one works independently on her work at home or we go to various activities that we’re involved with. I also have an art-related business website and a studio in my basement, where I create. I have been selling mass-produced work for the last 3 years, and now, I’m just about at the point where my personal work is ready to sell and I’m starting to do so, with the goal of selling my own work exclusively. (I’m purposely avoiding talking about exactly what I create on purpose to preserve my anonymity). The business has never really done great, and unless my own work can sell as it should, I’ve resolved to put it to bed and continue my work as a hobbiest rather than as a business. I have more than adequate amounts of supplies, and my website is paid for the next year, so there should be minimal costs to going this route, and most recently, I’ve been paying for those costs by liquidating my mass produced stock. We’re talking less than $100 per month.

My $1000 per month is from a job I have as an event planner for a small non-profit organization. As the event is annual, the work goes in cycles, and for the most part, it is more of a labor of love; I’m sure I could make more working for a different type of organization, however, this situation allows me to be with my girls for a couple more years, and also to pursue my art so that it might be more profitable later on. The biggest problem I'm having with this job is that they are miserably inconsistant with paying me on time.

I realize that some of you will look at my situation and think that I should just go get a job and throw the kids in high school. I AM planning on getting a full time grown up job (unless the art takes off) as soon as the 14 year old is just a bit older. If things get truly dire, I’m not above taking a shortterm seasonal job but it’s not my first option at this time.
- nomoreplastic | Date: 12/6/2007 1:03:49 AM | Number: 265089

You make sufficient income,a self-reported, $75K net, IMO, to live reasonably without spending more than you make.

Home schooling is Folly. My wife & I both have advanced degrees in different fields: Me Mathematics, Finance & Economics, my wife Psychology. We are both retired now. We did not home school our three children. We do not do our own dental work, we do not prescribe our own medications, thankfully very feww and we did not Home School our children.

If the oldest takes classes at the Community College, then you do not, by defination, home school.

What specifically is your question? If you seek help with your home business, I would suggest that you consider contacting a local Service Corps of Retired Executives(SCORE) office(http://www.score.org) for some FREE business consulting.

Kahuna,CFA
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement