UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308787  
Subject: After bankruptcy: secured CC Date: 4/3/2013 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Within the next couple of days, I will apply for a secured credit card. I have saved up for the minimum deposit for such an account, but would like feedback.

According to CreditKarma.com, my FICO is currently 580.

18 months ago, I received a discharge on my bankruptcy discharge. I have been slowly getting my basic financial life in order again and rebuilding my credit is significant part of the process. In my final, follow-up appointment with the lawyer at the bankruptcy law firm I used, he said that to rebuild credit faster, I should cautiously apply for a new credit card (secured or otherwise) and use it every month, spending $100 (or barely above it) and paying it down, on time, every month. As this board understands, he strongly cautioned against keeping a balance on the account. He said at least six months from there, I should be able to apply for another account, but again must maintain the same habits. He said that two years after beginning rebuilding (and maintaining proper spending and payment habits), I should have a good credit score again.

Right now, I believe the two best choices for me may be Capital One Secured MasterCard, or Wells Fargo Secured Card. Though Wells Fargo sounds better (APR 18.99%, annual fee of $25), I believe that I may have a better chance with Capital One (APR 22.99%, annual fee of $29) since it appears it is specifically geared to people with poor/bad FICO scores and may be more generous with approving applications. Though Wells Fargo seems good as well.

For reference, this is an article about "best" secured credit cards.

6 great cards for rebuilding credit
http://money.msn.com/credit-cards/6-great-cards-for-rebuildi...
This article names these:
1. Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Card
2. Citi Secured MasterCard
3. Capital One Secured MasterCard
4. Wells Fargo Secured Card
5. US Bank Secured Visa Card
6. Platinum Zero Visa Card from Applied Bank

I am not eligible for the Navy Federal Credit Union card since I have never been in the military and am not related to anyone who has been in the military. Citi requires an in-person application and seems to be quite stringent. US Bank is higher in fees in general. Plaintinum Zero has monthly mandatory fee of $9.95 (annual $119.40) and least appealing.

Tips and recommendations appreciated.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

Amazon: What Bezos Believes
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement