Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 6
After many cycles of this the E-file went thru. It was only then that I printed my file copy and the error was clearly visible. I obviously must have inadvertently deleted this income.

This is an error that the IRS will eventually correct. But it will take a year or so for them to propose the correction. In the mean time, interest and penalties will be running.

I would definitely wait a couple of weeks for the return to be processed as filed. Then you can file the amended return on form 1040X to include the income that was missed. If you mail the amended return before April 17, 2018, there will be no penalties or interest.

If you have a state return, don't forget to correct that one as well.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.