No. of Recommendations: 0
After maxing out one's 401K and utilizing the Roth IRA, are there any additional
steps one can take to shelter (fully or at least party) income from short term
taxes if the money is earmarked for retirement or long term investing?

Remember IRA's and 401k's do a good job of turning long term capital gains into ordinary income. So do annuities.

I would max out the IRA and 401k as you did. Now look for a SPYDER (S&P 500 stock index) or similar product. You will get market return and little risk of unexpected capital gains. However, you will get dividend income.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.