Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1528  
Subject: Re: Bike's in the shop Date: 6/25/2012 11:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
After paying dealer prices for too long, I found an independent H-D outfit I'm really happy with. Costs are usually around 10%-15% less and (knowing the highly reputable mechanic* personally) I am much more confident of any work being done properly. My last straw with the dealership came when they screwed up my 10,000 mile service by letting a new guy do it, since it was routine. I ended up with leaks and eventually had my tranny pulled apart and rebuilt by the independent shop. It still cost less than H-D wanted to charge to repair their own F-up.
I guess key here is trusting your guy. I might have to wait a bit now, but I usually can schedule, order parts, and 'reserve' my spot, keeping the dry spells to a minimum.

As far as the dull chrome in your other post, try to find 'SIMICHROME POLISH' made by Happich. It's made in Germany; http://simichrome.factoryoutletstore.com/?cid=44378&chid...
Stuff is amazing! Order the small tube, it'll probably be all you need.

ten

*my mechanic is H-D trained, got disgusted with H-D dealership BS and went 'rogue'. ;-) He builds his own bikes, races at local tracks and does some hill-climbing too. L-O-O-O-V-E-S Harleys and knows 'em inside out. Sports a 'F--- the factory' logo on his racing bike tranny cover. :-)

other anecdotal evidence; a rider decided to wait while the 5,000 service was done on his new Heritage. This normally is a 5 hour (according to H-D manual) deal while if everything is done properly. He had it back in a little over two hours. Maybe everything got done, maybe there were more than one crew on it (doubtful), but it's just (to me) indicative of dealership cost-cutting. Dunno if everything worked out OK, I hope so, but that crap ended up costing me extra $$ and cost that dealership a customer. It's only 10 miles from me, but I'd rather travel 100 miles than give them any more opportunities to screw up my bike.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement