Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
After reading through IRS publication 590, it appears that there is nothing illegal about deliberately over-contributing to an IRA or Roth IRA account.

See Roy's response at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13321017

This raises the following question: what is there to stop me from opening a Roth IRA account with an initial deposit of, say, $10,000, if I am willing to pay a $480 penalty each year for the rest of my life on the $8,000 excess contribution?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but the earnings on the excess contribution would not be eligible for tax-free withdrawl. Instead, they would be fully taxable and subject to early withdrawl penalties. In the 28% bracket, that comes to a 38% tax on the earnings (28% income tax plus 10% penalty tax). Add in a state (a typical California taxpayer in the 6% bracket plus a 2.5% early withdrawl penalty) and your pretty close to losing half of your earnings to taxes. Sounds like a good reason to keep you from making excess contributions to me. ;-)

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement