UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: thomasbihn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75888  
Subject: After-Tax in-service rollover to Roth? Date: 10/6/2013 11:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently found out about a loophole in the Roth IRA limit of $5,500 per year I'm considering taking advantage of. I was wondering what people had for thoughts on the risks to this.

It is my understanding that I can contribute up to $51,000 to a combination of my 401(k) and After-Tax accounts with my employer. My employer caps After-Tax (non-Roth) to 16% of pay. I am allowed to perform in-service withdrawals on After-Tax funds on a day-after basis. I understand that I can then transfer this to a Rollover Roth IRA account, allowing me to contribute more than the $5,500 limit into this.

Currently, I'm maxing out my traditional 401(k) account and my Roth IRA. My current tax bracket is 25%. I'm also contributing about $12,000/yr to my taxable investment account with the brokerage (outside of the company plan). I'm thinking of applying most of this $12,000 to After-Tax, non-Roth in my company plan and rolling over to the Roth IRA.

From my perspective, I see the following advantages to this:
1. I can still access money I've contributed here in an emergency
2. The money will grow tax-free compared to my taxable investment
3. The money will have additional bankruptcy protection

I see the following disadvantages:
1. I can't simply set cash as an option in my company plan and would be forced to allocate 100% to "Managed Income Portfolio II Class 2" which has the potential for an income between purchase and redemption.
1.a. This may cause some headache at tax time.
1.b. This will require active exchanges of funds each pay period for those in my 401(k) portion of the company plan.
2. If I'm wrong about this being a loophole, there could be penalties that negate the benefits (why I'm posting here).
3. I don't know if there are additional fees yet for this - if there are, the costs of the fees may negate the tax advantages.

If anyone is doing this or can advise if this is a reasonable investment strategy or if there are other factors I should consider, please let me know.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement