Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
After your wife finishes residency, she will either be self-employed, or be an employee.
Currently, I assume, she is employed by a hospital, and they take social security out of her earnings.
Subsequently, if she is an employee, the group employing her will start from scratch with social security. It is possible that too much social security will be deducted and she'll wind up getting the excess back, or actually applied to other parts of your joint income tax.
The fact that you are confident that your joint income will be a lot more in 2005 than 2004 doesn't mean that in the first half of 2005 you'd have to have more deductions. It is perfectly acceptable to let 2005 start out with tax withheld being the same as for 2004, then reassess when she starts her new job, presumably in July.
If she chooses to be self-employed, estimating what the start-up income will be can get a lot stickier. If a hospital is making a guarantee for the first couple of years, that helps some.
But for now, just leave the withholding as it is.
Best wishes, Chris
Been there, done that.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.