UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Re: What is a home theater? Date: 11/3/2012 12:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Agree about the components, but I'd say that the media player can also be a digital media player like The Popcorn Hour, which I have, or one of many other good brands like the WDTV Live. Or it can be a home computer with media player/DVR capabilities.

Cost of my HT is considerably less than yours, and I have pretty good stuff for my budget - LG LCD 42" HDTV at $500, Onkyo amp (refurb) at $300, speakers at $300, media player at $200. And one of my fav components - URC universal remote, at $150. Total - $1450.

halco

Based on function not cost you have a home theater. You underscore my point: a home theater is an assemblage of components and not necessarily the structure these components are within. When 1poorguy recommended those l/r speakers for your system he did it on cost/performance and not if these speakers would match your décor or ambience.

All this came about because a neighbor said his Old Faithful 28-in RCA CRT bit the dust and he wanted my recommendation on what to buy – but said, since the budget was limited – he couldn’t afford a ‘home theater’. His thought was one would cost multiple thousands.

Long story short: I cost out a 42-in. LCD, a small amp, and an inexpensive speaker set (we used his old DVD and VHS). We came in at about halco’s spending. Could it have been more? Sure. But why? Of course, if Rob wants to upgrade it will cost but he and Rose have a nice setup they and their grandkids can enjoy.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement