UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tlpriest Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756658  
Subject: Re: Wachovia Date: 10/18/2003 4:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Agreed. The First Union wolf is not doing a very good job of hiding in the Wachovia sheep's clothing.

But wait, there's more. I've been digging through the amended agreement language and have learned that not only is Wachovia Corporation the parent of Wachovia Securities, Wachovia Bank, Evergreen Investement Management, etc. but that each of these separate entities charges the other for services. That is, Wachovia Bank charges Wachovia Secruities a 1% management fee of the average monthly balance held in money market accounts (Evergreen charges 0.80%, currently waived -- guess where Wachovia Corp intends to move all the cash sweep: to the 1% overhead option). This 1% management fee is paid by clients. Currently, 2.5% of my account is held in cash, and assuming that's the Wachovia Securities average, then Wachovia Corp is going to add 1% of 2.5% of their entire assets under managment to their bottom line. WB investors should be happy with this move.

And, when this proves to be an insufficient profit margin, all of Wachovia Securities' account holders have waived their rights with respect to fiduciary responsibility and left Wachovia Corporation free to increase it's internally charged management fees under the covers to generate more revenue at customers' expense. Whoopie! Wonder if I should invest in these guys but move my money elsewhere? :)

This is like your doctor incorporating different parts of their business: patient care, billing, and records, and each entitiy charging the other for services which are then billed back to the client. Here's your $100 doctor's visit bill along with a $0.50 billing corporation service fee and a $0.25 filing corporation service fee. Nice way to move expenses from opex to a revenue stream.

Travis
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement