Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: makasha Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: aha! finally (a link for CA) Date: 1/21/2005 11:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
After searching in vain for the past few weeks on Google, I finally found a link to an automated tax schedule calcultor for California income taxes. It's very simplified, which is what I was looking for. You can enter your filing status and your income and it will provide your CA tax liability. As far as I can see, no spots to include dependents or anything; and you must already know your taxable income (cap gains/losses, 401k contributions, blah blah blah) but for quick results, it's what I wanted! :-)

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/tax_table/index.asp

Kasha <---smiling because I thought I'd owe California some income tax, but according tot his calculator, I overpaid the state by about $500. That is something that hasn't happened in the last 3 years of living here, though I overpaid federal and got a return every year, using same W4 worksheet.

So although it's not good to overpay and give uncle Sam a free loan, I'm ecstatic because I'll get not only $8000 return from Uncle Sam, but $500 from Uncle Arnie too, instead of having to give him some of my federal return.

Can I reduce my federal withholding any further by claiming more than 10 exemptions? I'm paid on commission and when I have a good month, it's virtually impossible to have withholding correctly done. Money's withheld as if I'm having a $30,000 month every month, not once or twice with $5000 months thrown in.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75714 of 121061
Subject: Re: aha! finally (a link for CA) Date: 1/21/2005 11:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
Can I reduce my federal withholding any further by claiming more than 10 exemptions? I'm paid on commission and when I have a good month, it's virtually impossible to have withholding correctly done. Money's withheld as if I'm having a $30,000 month every month, not once or twice with $5000 months thrown in.

Yes, but you will probably receive a warning letter from the IRS. Since your state withholding was close, it would be wise to also file a state withholding form (DE4) to keep the state withholding at the same level.

Debra

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75715 of 121061
Subject: Re: aha! finally (a link for CA) Date: 1/22/2005 8:16 AM
Recommendations: 4
After searching in vain for the past few weeks on Google, I finally found a link to an automated tax schedule calcultor for California income taxes.

With the caveat that I'm not anti-tech, and more for lurkers than for you, boy, what a waste of time!

www.firstgov.gov is one of the best things since sliced bread. It's a portal to all US government websites, including the states. A quick trip to the FTB site would have gotten you where you wound up.

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement