UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75539  
Subject: Re: My First 401(k) Date: 7/9/2004 1:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ahhh...it is perhaps brazen for Grasshopper to add to the wisdom of Master Paul, but...

Two thoughts to toss in the mix for you.
1.) Is the employer's profit share distribution based on your 401k participation?
My last employer's was and those that didn't participate in the plan missed out on some free money each year.

2.) How disciplined are you to save money from your paychecks to fund an IRA?
If I dig into my unreliable memory banks from when I was around your age, I recall that I only was successful at doing this once in the 5 years before 401k's were offered.
When I started up in a 401k, it imposed the discipline I was missing since the money never touched my grubby hands. It seemed like menial amounts at the beginning, but once the balance grew to a few grand, that was soooooo motivating and I quickly escalated to maxing out each year by bumping my contributions to offset each raise.

Guessing from your screen name, you're in a fun part of town, so you're probably struggling with wanting to keep some mad-money free to enjoy it now as well.
At any rate, congrats on adopting some Foolish thinking so young. In hindsight I wish I would've, but then again, I have some damn good memories from the things I did while spending it so foolishly.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement