No. of Recommendations: 0

<<I have a Keogh (Money Purch & Profit Sharing) that I have not contributed to in over a year as I am no longer self-employed (I was a sole-proprietor). I recently read that I could potentially be in trouble (plan may be disqualified?) since I haven't closed the Keogh and rolled it over into an IRA.

Is it not possible to just leave the Keogh alone as long as I don't make any further contributions? It's going to grow (hopefully) tax deferred whether in an IRA or Keogh...why should the government care?>>

Your Keogh is inactive now that you are no longer self-employed. There is no requirement of which I am aware for you to completely close it and roll the proceeds to an IRA. You should be able to leave the funds there until you retrie. Alternatively, you may transfer the money to an IRA.

If you are concerned that the plan no longer qualifies, the financial institution that provided you the prototype when it was established can clarify the issue for you. The current custodian can help, too. However, as I see it you don't really have to do anything until you must take distributions at age 70 1/2.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.