Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121477  
Subject: Aides Date: 1/9/2014 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
MIL has part time paid aides. Would any of their wages be deductible as a medical expense?

She is no longer able to handle her own medications. She is no longer able to walk unassisted, and is quickly losing her memory.

It would be nice if their wages were deductible, but I doubt that it qualifies as a medical expense.

They are through an agency, so for 2013 I don't need to worry about W-2 or other issues. In 2014, a family member will be paid for some care.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119823 of 121477
Subject: Re: Aides Date: 1/9/2014 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
MIL has part time paid aides. Would any of their wages be deductible as a medical expense?

Possibly. See the discussion of long-term care in Pub 502.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement