UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25043  
Subject: AiG Hits Back! Date: 8/31/2012 6:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
AiGs response to Bill Nye's viral video:

Time is Nye for a Rebuttal
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2012/08/29/t...

Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23905 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 8/31/2012 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Kentucky Republicans weekly accomplishments: fighting evolution being included in the state science standards

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/08/30/kent...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23906 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 8/31/2012 6:36 PM
Wow...their molecular geneticist has fallen into the creating-information fallacy, as well as the "simple to complex" fallacy. Did she sleep in class or something?

However, the guy picked up on the same thing I did. Creationism is not unique to the US. The AiG guy is correct about that. However, among the first-world nations on this planet the US is the only one with a significant percentage of the population (almost half) claiming belief in creationism. That's probably what Bill meant, but it isn't what he said.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23907 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 8/31/2012 9:57 PM
"This video has been removed by the user."

From this link:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/08/16/kent...

“The theory of evolution is a theory, and essentially the theory of evolution is not science — Darwin made it up,” Waide said. “My objection is they should ensure whatever scientific material is being put forth as a standard should at least stand up to scientific method. Under the most rudimentary, basic scientific examination, the theory of evolution has never stood up to scientific scrutiny.”

Ben Waide, Kentucky State Representative (Republican.)

<shake head>

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23908 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 8/31/2012 10:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
However, the guy picked up on the same thing I did. Creationism is not unique to the US. The AiG guy is correct about that. However, among the first-world nations on this planet the US is the only one with a significant percentage of the population (almost half) claiming belief in creationism. That's probably what Bill meant, but it isn't what he said.

Yes, but it's a minor issue with an otherwise good presentation. I posted it on FB and got some response. My fundie brother in law said "as a scientist..." then went on about thermodynamics. A friend asked me via email what kind of scientist he is. I told him - he's the worst kind, an engineer who thinks he's a scientist.

Author: 10talents Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23909 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 9/1/2012 4:52 PM
Really AiG: respond to an ad hominem with an appeal to authority??

from the link:

A recent tactic by evolutionists in their battle against creationists, one that is especially used by Richard Dawkins, is to employ an ad hominem argument—that creationists are committing a form of “child abuse” when they teach creation to children. Well, that phenomenon continues, this time with Bill Nye.

a few sentences later:

We are doing so today with a video rebuttal featuring our “science guys”—Dr. David Menton and Dr. Georgia Purdom of our AiG and Creation Museum staff. These two PhD scientists were asked to reply to Mr. Nye, whose academic credentials do not come close to Drs. Menton and Purdom.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23910 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 9/1/2012 5:09 PM
Really AiG: respond to an ad hominem with an appeal to authority??

That's typical. "God did it. Says so in the Bible, the inspired word of God." That's what it ultimately comes down to for them, an appeal to (the ultimate) authority.

On a side note, their credentials are legit (apparently), but I didn't find any recent publications outside of creationist rags.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23911 of 25043
Subject: Re: AiG Hits Back! Date: 9/5/2012 12:42 PM
The Kentucky video can be found here:

http://www.ket.org/cgi-bin/cheetah/watch_video.pl?nola=WLEGP...

FF to 116:26

Talking to a lady at Mammoth caves last weekend who claimed Kentucky is ranked 43/50 on education. Haven't checked, but expect it's close. We also toured a bourbon distillery (when in Kentucky...). Guide said they are hiring production workers, but are having difficulty. For every 10 applicants, one is hired.

BTW, at Mammoth Caves, the guides and info boards talked about cave formation around 260mya. No YEC there.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement