No. of Recommendations: 0
AirCal writes:

>> In essence, you must ask that the original contribution be "recharacterized" as a contribution to a nondeductible traditional IRA and that the contributions and all earnings be transferred to a traditional IRA for that purpose. If you do that, then the original contribution will be redesignated as one made to a nondeductible traditional IRA instead of a Roth. <<

Thanks for the info! How would I differentiate the 1999 contribution's earnings from the 1998 contribution's earnings? Or would it be better to transfer the 1999 $2000 to a seperate Roth so they would be seperate entities?

Based on your prior query, I assume the 1999 money is already in the Roth IRA. Thus, it probably already has earnings. Your IRA provider should be able to help you arttribute what part of the earnings should be allocated to that contribution when and if you must recharacterize. Most will, but to be sure you should call and ask.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.