No. of Recommendations: 0
I have three Airplay speakers from iHome (the iW1). I bought the first one about a year ago, and I was happy with the way it worked, so I bought two more. I live in a rental apartment and this was a way to have music in every room without having to turn the volume up so I could hear music from across the apartment (which would disturb my neighbors) or run wires all over the place.

I used them quite a bit when I first bought them, but then I stopped using them for a while during the summer and fall (I wasn't home much). I started using them again over the holiday break, and I found that they were constantly losing their network connection. When I'm actually using them, they work fine, but if I stop and come back the next day, they have disconnected from the network. (They don't appear in my list of AirPlay speakers in iTunes or on my iDevices.) I have to manually reset the network connection on each one and sometimes I have to repeat the setup process. This didn't seem to happen when I first bought them.

I did some research online and this seems to be a common problem with Airplay speakers, but I seem to have a bigger issue than other people (most people only report losing the network connection occasionally). I checked to see if there was a firmware update for the speakers but there doesn't seem to be. Any ideas? Since they stopped working recently, I was wondering if it had something to do with iTunes 11 or some other software update. I'm also using Snow Leopard if that makes a difference.

BTW, my wifi network has a very strong signal and is very stable. There isn't much distance between my router and the speakers - maybe a couple of hundred feet at most.

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
There isn't much distance between my router and the speakers - maybe a couple of hundred feet at most.

Well 200 feet is nearing the end of range for Wi-Fi, particularly if you have walls involved or happen to be using the 5 GHz band.

Since these worked well and now seem less effective, try changing channels. One thing you can do is get iStumbler and check what channels are being used by your neighbors. If your neighbors got some new Wi-Fi equipment or maybe new neighbors they may be walking on your channels.

There are different versions of iStumbler for the several Mac OSs. The 10.6x version will not run on 10.7 and there is yet another version for Mountain Lion. So google iStumbler & your OS.

If you have a notebook, you can carry it around to your speaker location and check the strength your speakers are "seeing".

Gordon
Atlanta
Sounds like it could be a router problem.

What model of router do you have? Is there a firmware update available?
Sounds like it could be a router problem.

What model of router do you have? Is there a firmware update available?

I have a Time Capsule and it should be up to date with firmware.

The problem may be interference from my neighbors - I checked with iStumbler to see if I could switch to another channel, but I didn't have much luck - I have neighbors on all sides and they all have networks. There isn't a "clear" channel available. I don't have a problem getting a strong signal with my iPad but maybe my AirPlay speakers are more sensitive.

Karen
One thing you can do is get iStumbler and check what channels are being used by your neighbors.

..cool..

..I launched iStumbler just now, for the first time..

..66 networks and still counting..

..most distressing is that my airport router is 7 feet from my computer. with a direct line of sight, and the signal strength is 65%..

..and, in the time it took me to write this post, iStumbler has located over 15 more, now close to 82 WIFI networks, all flying through my body as I sit..

..can't be good..
..I managed to find a relatively unused channel (8) and reset my router..

..signal strength jumped to 75%..

..perhaps it doesn't matter..
As has been said, it sounds like you have a router issue. Tell us about your router?

Gordon
Atlanta
Advertisement