Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: williamefox2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12547  
Subject: Re: QQQ overvalued? Date: 4/15/2000 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
alberti:
I share your misgivings about the MSFT holdings (at least for the short term). Have been lurking about the Workshop board and ran across posts regarding the RSO screen (relative strength - overlap) wherein only the stocks appearing on both the RS-13 and RS-26 screens are included (in the RSO screen). By the way, the folks over there have back tested the RSO screen 30 years and it has roughly doubled S&P in those years. They have annointed it the champeen screen. According to their screens from 4/7/00 (seems like an eternity!) there were only three stocks to make the cut for RSO: Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Immunex (IMNX) and PMC-Sierra (PMCS). AMD is NOT currently included in the Q holdings the others are at 1.97% and 1.51% respectively.
There is one other variable that bothers me and that is the psychological thing out there about value. Last week on Bloomberg I saw an interview with a Wharton prof who said that only within the last few months (maybe 6 I can't recall) have we ever had P/E multples exceeding 100. What does that fact bode for ANY kind of historical analysis. Are folks gonna be scared off of anything that doesn't have a resonable P/E? I'm not saying that necessarily matters in a fundemental analysis but perception is reality. (By the way I just checked the MSN investor and got the following:
AMD is at 66 down from 69 with a P/E ratio of 47.3! Which is a lot lower than I thought it would be... but IMNX has a P/E of 548 (even after yesterday and an almost 18% drop).
Just sumthin' a total neophyte is chewin' on right now ...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement