UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2788bagman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55  
Subject: Alcatel Buyout Date: 9/28/1999 11:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"Under terms of the agreement, Genesys shareholders will be given 1.667 Alcatel American depositary shares (ADS) for one Genesys share, as long as the value of Genesys stock stays between $45 and $55 per share. Genesys closed up 5/8 yesterday at $40 7/8, and Alcatel crept up 1/4 to close at $27 5/16. Each Alcatel ADS is worth one-fifth of an Alcatel share."

Lemme do the math (brief pause while my brain boots up): 1 ADS = 0.2 Alc shares.
Genesys share holders will get 1.667 ADS which equals 1.667 x 0.2 Alc/ADS = 0.3334 shares of Alcatel for each share of Genesys.
If Alcatel stock is $28/share, this is worth
0.3334 x $28/share = $9.3352 for each share of Genesys if Genesys is worth at least $45.

So the Genesys shareholders are supposed to exchange each $45 worth of stock for ADS's worth less than $10!!

To quote the late Pete Deul on "Alias Smith and Jones", "This is a good deal???"

But that's just my opinion - I'm just your Foolish bagman.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement