Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FrankHK One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Aliens have landed Date: 6/25/2001 12:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Greetings Earthlings,

This an appeal for help! We hope it's the right board if not could someone point us to it.

Over on the Non Resident Alien Investing Board we have a thread going on U.S. Estate taxes for us Aliens.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15233803

That's right, us little Greenies may have to file.

While we do come in Peace and would quite like to meet your Leader I can't guarentee it'll stay that way if you try to whack us for Estate Taxes.

We've been around the IRS site but haven't managed (yet) to turn anything up.

So we could do with some help from any knowledgable person with a couple of relevant Links up their sleeve.

In return we wil stop abducting you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gailkay One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52064 of 121114
Subject: Re: Aliens have landed Date: 6/25/2001 2:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So we could do with some help from any knowledgable person with a couple of relevant Links up their sleeve.

In return we wil stop abducting you.

It isn't the abducting that bugs us as much as those annoying an@l probes...

Gail~
looking for the answers in all the wrong places

Author: gailkay One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52065 of 121114
Subject: Re: Aliens have landed Date: 6/25/2001 2:35 AM
"Foreign individuals (called nonresident alien individuals by the IRS) are subject to U.S. estate taxes ...And since foreign individuals only get a $60,000 exemption from u.s. estate taxes on their U.S. holdings, a wealthy foreigner could lose more than half his wealth to the IRS when he dies, unless he plans carefully."...Comments, anyone...

Well. Estate taxation of non-resident aliens is wayyyy out of my area, but you could check out the instructions to Form 706 NA
http://ftp.fedworld.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i706na.pdf

"Form 706-NA is used to compute estate and generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax liability for nonresident alien decedents. The estate tax is imposed on the transfer of the decedent's taxable estate rather than on the receipt of any part of it. "

Gail~

Author: FrankHK One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52066 of 121114
Subject: Re: Aliens have landed Date: 6/25/2001 5:08 AM
Hi Gail,

Really appreciate the Link and am completely outgunned by your first reply's one-liner - I surrender!

Thanks again and best,

Frank

Author: codehead Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52075 of 121114
Subject: Re: Aliens have landed Date: 6/25/2001 9:42 AM
Frank,

Broadly speaking, non-resident, non-US domiciled aliens are liable to Estate Tax on their US-situs assets (US stocks would broadly be included in this). You would also need to cross-check, however, with the Estate/Inheritance Tax laws of the jurisdiction in which you are domiciled, and any provisions of an Estate Tax Treaty between the US and your country.

Cheers
matt

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement