Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35942  
Subject: Alienware Contest Date: 10/24/2007 10:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.alienware.com/Microsite_Pages/declassified/main.aspx

The folks at Alienware must know their customers are the gaming type. The first clue is out, and it seems it will be followed by 4 more. I'm not going to spoil it... Anyway, if you figure it out, you can be entered in for a chance to win a New York trip. Good luck!

Foolish regards,
Paul

P.S. If you're thinking about buying a new Alienware laptop, you might want to hold off a couple weeks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hubris Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25127 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/25/2007 11:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Thanks for the timely info, Paul. I was about ready to order a new laptop :)

I think I have most of it:

Denials and cover-ups will prove futile only when each and
every person can hold the evidence in their hands. seek out
the Area-51 ?15? and Area-51 ?1??

I just treated it like a simple substitution code, so I have no idea what the symbols marked by ?'s stand for--I assume they are model numbers.

Cheers,

Hubris

Author: TMFSelzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25128 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/25/2007 12:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
Oh man! You went and spoiled the fun for everyone else.

Yeah, it was pretty easy to figure out, as they gave us "A__a-51 _15_ a__ A__a-51 _1__" which was easily matched to Area-51 x15x and Area-51 x1xx. Plus, they gave us a, o, and u, so with adding e, it was easy to figure out which character was i, and then from there, not so tough...

My guess is that there are two new models about to come out, the Area-51 m15x and Area-51 m17x. The 'm' because it looks a lot like 'n' and the other laptop model numbers start with 'm', the 'x' because from a marketing perspective it looks better than b, q, w, or z would, and 7 because if I'm just going to wildly guess at a numerical digit that isn't 0, 1, or 5, it might as well be lucky number 7. I won't be putting in my official entry until the clues give us the exact model numbers.

I've been thinking of getting a new machine as well. I've yet to figure out the laptop vs desktop choice in my head, but I'm leaning laptop, and then maybe sometime later building a much cheaper desktop myself (I put together an Alienware desktop and crossed the 3K mark -- ouch).

Foolish regards,
Paul

Author: Hubris Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25129 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/25/2007 1:38 PM
Oh man! You went and spoiled the fun for everyone else.

D'oh! Didn't think of that at all...well, get your colleagues to give us an edit post functionality and I'll go back and insert spoiler space?

I'm debating the laptop vs desktop thing too. Right now I have an old laptop and a desktop that's below average. Replacing both with reasonably high end stuff will be pricey, so I'm leaning toward a nice laptop that would take the place of both. I was considering the Dell m1730...I don't know if anyone here has had any experience with that one, but i'll wait and see what the Alienware offerings look like first.

Cheers,

Hubris

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25130 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/25/2007 2:04 PM
and 7 because if I'm just going to wildly guess at a numerical digit that isn't 0, 1, or 5, it might as well be lucky number 7.

That actually makes sense for another reason. The most common laptop screen sizes are 15 and 17 inches.

Draggon

Author: cupcake327 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25145 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/28/2007 7:05 PM
I tried doing the number sequence as each 'line' inside the vertical parentheses as 1 point and each 'dot' as two points. I was able to do 0-8 but the nine is missing a couple dots inside...ughhhh...but I still went with it. :-)
Good luck to all! Their rules don't say that you have to have the answer right, but I sure tried.
Also, if you're anal like me, watch your caps. You can tell the difference mainly in Area. The first A symbol is bold.

Author: Giaco1 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25156 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/29/2007 1:33 PM
I agree the second numeral is likely a 7 as well. As well as the monitor size distinction, the pattern seems to suggest that the middle spot has either dots (1 or 2), a line, or both. For 3 and higher there are dots on the top and bottom, so the only variance would be in the middle. Here's my guess... see what you all think: (tilted sideways)
0 - ( ) ( )
1 - ( )|( )
2 - ( )|(.)
3 - (.)|(.)
4 - (.).(.)
5 - (.):(.)
6 - (.).|(.)
7 - (.):|(.)
8 - (.):.(.)
9 - (.)::(.)

Author: JonBeer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25158 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 10/29/2007 2:27 PM
Recommendations: 4
Here's my guess... see what you all think: (tilted sideways)
0 - ( ) ( )
1 - ( )|( )
2 - ( )|(.)
3 - (.)|(.)
4 - (.).(.)
5 - (.):(.)
6 - (.).|(.)
7 - (.):|(.)
8 - (.):.(.)
9 - (.)::(.)

Wait, since when were we allowed to post boob jokes here?
Someone call Average Joe!

Jon

Author: TMFSelzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25208 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 11/1/2007 12:16 AM
You seem to be right so far, as the next clue is out...

http://www.alienware.com/Microsite_Pages/declassified/main.aspx

and it looks like you nailed both the 2 and 4.

Foolish regards,
Paul

Author: TMFSelzhanik Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25400 of 35942
Subject: Re: Alienware Contest Date: 11/16/2007 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
Looks like the official "answer" is out today...

Denials and cover-ups will prove futile only when each and
every person can hold the evidence in their hands. Seek out
the Area-51 m15x and Area-51 m17x.

Are we good or what?

The two new models come out November 19, just in time for Christmas. ;)

Foolish regards,
Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement