Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a problem that maybe someone can help me on. I'm a Canadian working in the states and Pay U.S. Taxes. I am reqired to pay my ex wife alimony which in both Canada and the U.S. is tax Dedicutable. However my ex wife is also Canadian and doesn't have a SSN or a TIN. When I filed this year the IRS said that I had to have a SSN or TIN for my ex wife. After much mucking about we found the form and had it filed with the U.S people who sat on it for about 3 months. They then rejected the application for the TIN because it was not tax related. Does anyone have any experance with claming Alimony for a foriegn Spouse? How does one get the deduction with out a SSN or TIN? If anyone can help you can email me at or reply to this post.

Donald L. Gover
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.