Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlgover Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Alimony Deduction for Foriegn Spouse Date: 8/21/2001 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a problem that maybe someone can help me on. I'm a Canadian working in the states and Pay U.S. Taxes. I am reqired to pay my ex wife alimony which in both Canada and the U.S. is tax Dedicutable. However my ex wife is also Canadian and doesn't have a SSN or a TIN. When I filed this year the IRS said that I had to have a SSN or TIN for my ex wife. After much mucking about we found the form and had it filed with the U.S people who sat on it for about 3 months. They then rejected the application for the TIN because it was not tax related. Does anyone have any experance with claming Alimony for a foriegn Spouse? How does one get the deduction with out a SSN or TIN? If anyone can help you can email me at dlgover@yahoo.com or reply to this post.

Donald L. Gover
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53513 of 121585
Subject: Re: Alimony Deduction for Foriegn Spouse Date: 8/22/2001 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Have you tried looking at the relevant portions of the tax treaty with Canada? There may be some guidance there. If there is, you might also try quoting it to the IRS office that denied your deduction. Sometimes we have to remind the IRS of the laws they are enforcing.

--Peter

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement