Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 274  
Subject: Re: Board Demographics Date: 6/25/2004 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
All of the above, and then some. Making some small progress. My 19 year old has gotten a full time job at a bank as a customer service rep, even though she is majoring in culinary arts in college. She loves it, and I sense a change in major coming to some sort of financial/business focus. The 17 year old is a real couch potato, but finally agreed to take over laundry after I cut off support for paying for any kind of hair appointments. My son is probably the high spot with regard to helping "pitch in", as he has been doing all of his own laundry for about 2 months now, has continued vacuuming the few carpeted areas we have, and will regularly just happen to "notice" that the dishwasher needs to be either emptied of clean dishes, or filled up with the stuff piled in the sink.

Hi Ralph, my heartfelt condolences for your loss of your best friend and more.

First let me say that Rosie hit it right on with her post. Children that have not done a lot of "help" tend not to take it up as teenagers. With my two daughters, one in college at the time of my loss, I thought it was not worth the aggravation and just kept their doors closed. It's great that your son is pitching in. You know, if you only do your own laundry, they will either be wearing dirty clothes or start taking up the task for themselves. I wonder how long a teenager will sleep on the same sheets, not washing them?

Hopefully, the culinary student is doing a lot of delicious cooking for you. I assume you are paying her tuition? Heh heh. Oh Dear! I became a mean old lady when the single life hit me. As for cleaning help, I do use Merry Maids, but I live alone now with my dogs so it's not too much to clean up. You should have someone come at least once a week.

At this point my 5 acres, house, dogs and small buisness keeps me out of trouble. I think that after the first years of grieving, the thing I miss most is not having my buddy along on trips and vacations and having another great mind to help make big decisions.

It is interesting that you have kind of separated us widowed folks into hers and his. I believe there are differences. Most men are the breadwinners and do not have the intial fright of poverty because finances cannot be managed. Men also are not usually taken advantage of by service/repair people. A single women learns to deal with these issues early on, but a widowed woman may have counted on her husband to deal with finances, car repairs, etc. Women however, know how to cook, clean, do laundry. Many men are lost when it comes to housekeeping. Many men remarry quite quickly because they need a caretaker, to put it bluntly. Many women, if finances allow, find that being single can be a satisfying way of life.

I hope I have written this so no one takes offense; I certainly do not mean any. I have been widowed since 1987; have a few friends that have become recently widowed and these are things I have observed over the years.

Birgit who comes out of the woods when she sees posts on lightly attended boards.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement