UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308225  
Subject: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/18/2008 9:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 58
Christmas is so weird this year. All the things I want aren't things. So DH is going with yarn.

DrBooa said this and I found it to be so thoroughly true that I thought I would give it its own thread.

I, too, have no desire for "things" this year. There is very little in the way of physical objects that would increase my sense of joy or wonder or serenity or happiness.

Instead, I want to see my daughter's eyes light up when I turn on the Christmas tree for the first time. I want my husband to hold me when I fall asleep. Every night, not just the nights we're together on the weekends. I want to make dinner for my whole family.

I want to feel healthy again, after weeks of anything-but.

I want laughter.

I want to smell snow in the air and share a snowball fight with my stepsons. I want to lie out in the grass on a summer night and point out constellations to the youngest, who still thinks it's okay to do that with a grownup.

I want to see my dad retire and catch up on all that yard work he says he's put off. (The man has the nicest yard on the planet. Who knows what else he would like to do!) I want to see my mom put aside her worries about her heart and enjoy life.

I want my brother to find a job and not be afraid he's going to be out on the street. I want my other brother's Big Event to go well and to have the outcome he hopes for. I want my sister to do well in her sheltered workshop, where she puts covers for Harleys into boxes. And various other simple tasks. And watches movies when there isn't enough work to do.

I want the satisfaction of knowing that I helped the people I work with to do a better job of the important work that they do, keeping a huge research hospital functioning even on the worst days when everything, absolutely everything, breaks.

I want to hear carols and see beautiful lights. Not because they're corny, but because they're genuinely beautiful.

I want to see icicles and a warm fire and friends and family. I want to feel the comfort of feeling that God is close. I want the awe of knowing the Universe is vast beyond my most amazed and stunned comprehension.

I want to get my daughter a puppy, the one she told Santa she wants, and know that I cannot. I want to have a baby, the one that I talked to my husband about, and know that I cannot. I want my family all in one household, one where a puppy or a baby would make some kind of sense.

Indeed, all the things I want aren't things.

So I asked for a rain coat. In it, I will be dry as I walk in a spring downpour, splashing in puddles and trying to remember the words of "Singing in the Rain." Maybe next year we can try for the puppy.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sglv03 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282943 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/18/2008 10:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
How sweet! Won't pretend I do not agree with you on the snow thing ... I'm a West Coaster and Vegas has had TWO days of snow in 3 days and I'm not happy about that, the rest of it sounds like a phenomenal wish list.

Just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEvy-9yVyQ (Singing in the Rain)

Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282950 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/19/2008 2:00 AM
I want some fresh turkey and stuffing, a few cookies and a good milk stout. Mmmmm..

~w

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282961 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/19/2008 10:55 AM
Recommendations: 1
ThyPeace:

Aw....

God bless. May peace and warmth surround you.

Vermonter

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282982 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/19/2008 4:10 PM
{{{{{ThyPeace}}}}}}

That was beautiful. :-) Talk about a sow's ear into a silk purse! :-) I feel like I got a great, unexpected present.

--Booa

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283003 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/19/2008 9:05 PM
Dear ThyPeace,

Clearly you have found it! Congratulations.

You will have a better Christmas than many who are showered with material wealth.

Jack

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283014 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/20/2008 10:12 AM
Recommendations: 2
{{{{{ThyPeace}}}}}}

That was beautiful. :-) Talk about a sow's ear into a silk purse! :-) I feel like I got a great, unexpected present.

You're very welcome, Booa. But if I may change the analogy, please?

If I was able to weave the thread and add color, then I have some skill for which I'm grateful. But the idea itself was no sow's ear. It was silk.

Author: Synergism Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283021 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/20/2008 12:02 PM
But if I may change the analogy, please?

But the idea itself was no sow's ear. It was silk.

You're both right. The idea was silk. Making it concrete was also silk. That sow's got TWO silk purses!

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283073 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/21/2008 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
That sow's got TWO silk purses!

Mu. :)

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283075 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/21/2008 7:56 PM
Recommendations: 8
An update on what I wrote. :) :) :)

My brother's Big Event was that he was planning to ask his girlfriend to marry him. He was -very- anxious about it, and also very excited. He kept sending us pictures of the ring and things like that.

She's in her second year of law school and finished her last exam on Friday. Today she was flying out of DC to go home to Wisconsin for Christmas.

So yesterday morning at their apartment, he asked. And she said yes!! So I'm going to have a sister-in-law someday soon, though perhaps not until they're both done with school.

Yay!!

ThyPeace, very happy for them indeed.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 283083 of 308225
Subject: Re: All the things I want aren't things. Date: 12/22/2008 12:23 AM
Congratulations! Hey, some lovely wedding related-news today! Yay!

--Booa

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement