Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39758  
Subject: All they have to do... Date: 10/4/2012 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
is become less greedy.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642812&navid=DL|NHL|h...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cbull Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37037 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/4/2012 9:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Being a Columbus, OH area resident, I hate to see this. With the product that the Blue Jackets have put on the ice for the last decade, this could literally kill professional hockey in Columbus.

cbull

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37038 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/4/2012 11:15 PM
Betthole & the Donald badly need to be HUNG!!!

Author: delraydella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37039 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/5/2012 11:11 AM
Except for a few states in the U.S., the NHL barely has a foothold in this country and both sides keep shooting down that little foothold. It seems both sides want to kill whatever little chance they have of growing the league any further.

Almost any few allegiances I still had to the NHL after the last lockout are fading fast as I start going to more junior A games.

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37040 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/5/2012 9:45 PM
Except for a few states in the U.S., the NHL barely has a foothold in this country and both sides keep shooting down that little foothold.

17 states is a few? 23 out of 30 NHL teams is barely a foothold? I think the lockout is dumb, but I don't see the validity in your assertion.

Grape

Author: delraydella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37041 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/5/2012 10:51 PM
Sure,the league might have teams in many U.S. cities, but just how popular is it really in most of those cities? I'd say just a few.....Detroit, Boston, maybe New York and Chicago would be considered hockey cities where team news would make page 1 of the sports section or even the front page without winning the Stanley Cup.

Now I'm not saying all those other cities don't have their fans,but you have to admit that many of those cities also have teams that are struggling financially. N.H.L. hockey might be something to do in those cities, but it isn't the be-all , end-all sport that it is in a few U.S. cities and Canada.

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37042 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/6/2012 12:22 AM
It certainly isn't anything like the other 3 big sports in the US. Some major papers don't even carry stories during the SC finals game 7! It's like it doesn't exist in some cities and papers. With the other sports, even if a city doesn't have a team they will have BIG stories during BIG events. When sports are mentioned in movies and tv shows, they talk about the NFL, NBA, and MLB. NHL? It's rare and noteworthy when mentioned. Hockey is all but ignored.

Author: tonyromo1741 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37043 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/6/2012 8:22 AM
Delraydella hit the nail on the head...

I read the NYC papers almost every day...

if the Knicks and Rangers play on the same day during regular season, 9 times out of 10 the Knicks story will be the top headline in the sports section over the Rangers...

Question for Grape: who gets the top headline of sports in the Boston Globe if the Bruins and Celtics play on the same day???

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37044 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/6/2012 10:45 AM
Sure,the league might have teams in many U.S. cities, but just how popular is it really in most of those cities? I'd say just a few.....

I look at "presence" versus popularity against other sports as two different issues. Hockey is often 4th when compared to baseball, football, and basketball.

Grape

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37045 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/6/2012 2:57 PM
"Question for Grape: who gets the top headline of sports in the Boston Globe if the Bruins and Celtics play on the same day???"

Yeah, what's it like these days? I know in the "Orr" era hockey was top dog in Boston. Heck, not only in the papers either. Ice skating rinks popped up all over the place during those days! Then I bet when Orr retired they went down hill and out of business (but I don't know that for sure).

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37046 of 39758
Subject: Re: All they have to do... Date: 10/6/2012 6:27 PM
Yeah, what's it like these days? I know in the "Orr" era hockey was top dog in Boston.

It varies depending upon how the teams are doing. Right now, the Red Sox might be number 4!

Grape

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement