UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1107  
Subject: Re: UBS, Merrill Lynch, or Morgan Stanley? Date: 12/4/2007 6:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
All three are what are called "wirehouse firms".
Pick the broker, not the firm.
I've had an account with Merrill Lynch since 1960, with several offices as we have moved from one area to another, and a succession of brokers. The one I have now I've had since 1993, and am very pleased. What is in that account is bonds, with a touch of master limited partnerships. Merrill has a good selection of bonds, and the costs are no more than with a discounter. My broker looks for "improving situations" and has done very well over the years.
For stock trading, I have an account with a deep discounter (e-trade). To trade stocks with a full service broker would destroy my % returns, but for bonds, which are held to maturity, the costs aren't prohibitive.
Here is my advice: call each local office (that is why you want to deal with a full-service broker, right?) and ask to talk to the office manager. Tell him/her you have $XXXXX to invest, want to open an account, and would like to interview some brokers who are taking new clients. You want a broker with at least 5 years of experience, no complaints against his/her license, and interest/experience in some more exotic vehicles. Your goal is speculation/moderation/capital preservation--whatever. The manager should set you up with appointments with 2 or 3 candidates after giving you a quick resume' of the qualifications of each.
If you just call the office and speak with a broker, you get the "broker of the day" who is newly licensed, and trying to build up some clients. No, you want to interview candidates before you select somebody that you have rapport with and don't think will be maximizing his/her return at the expense of yours.
My own preference is Merrill. At one time I had an account with UBS when it was called PayneWebber. Later, I inherited a Morgan Stanley account, talked to the broker one time and closed the account. We didn't hitch. Depending on the broker, you might be happy with any of the three--or with somebody from Edward Jones or Prudential.
You may also discover that these brokers may move from one firm to another. After all, YOU don't plan to work for the same employer your whole life, do you? When they move, they can offer incentives for you to move your account to their new firm.
Best wishes, Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement