UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: leky Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: allergy from birds? Date: 2/25/2006 2:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Could somone tell me if this is normal. I got 2 birds for my son and I have been sneezing, running nose and watery eyes ever since.
Thanks
Leky
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12665 of 14995
Subject: Re: allergy from birds? Date: 2/25/2006 7:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Could somone tell me if this is normal. I got 2 birds for my son and I have been sneezing, running nose and watery eyes ever since.

If the only change in your environment is the birds, chances are good that you're allergic to something that the birds bring into the house. This is not necessarily the birds themselves. For example, it's possible that dropped feathers provide a breeding ground for dust mites and that the cages are situated such that the air flows in your house deliver the dust mites to you in greater proportion than you got before the birds.

For several years I thought I had a mild cat allergy. Turned out I had a dust mite allergy, and we had a persian with fine hair. The shed hair was purr-fect breeding ground for dust mites.

For a real allergy diagnosis, you would need to see an allergist and have tests done. Experimenting with where the bird cages are placed, removing the birds from the house and reintroducting them, etc. should be good enough to tell you if you have a problem with the birds or something associated with them.

Patzer

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12666 of 14995
Subject: Re: allergy from birds? Date: 2/25/2006 2:10 PM

It's also the season where a lot of regular ol' hay fever allergies kick in too - in the last couple of weeks I've started the usual seasonal sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Did you have hayfever type allergies before? If so it might just be bad timing.

Given that though, I think bird allergies are fairly common. I developed an allergy over time to a cockateil that I had. I was really upset to have to re-home her, but it got so bad I had no choice. I tried cleaning her cage daily, washing her weekly, and even spraying her down with a product called Allerpet that's supposed to help with bird dander issues. If you're pretty sure it's the birds and you want to keep them, you might try those routes first. In my case it helped for awhile but not enough - it got so bad towards the end that I couldn't even be in the house with her - my lungs would tighten up and start making these awful cracking noises.

Anyway - as Patzer suggested I'd check with an allergist to be tested for sure. If it is the birds you have a few options to try before you try and re-home them, too.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement