Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96599  
Subject: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Add your name and alliance to this list. In no way do I maintain this is a complete list...I'm just trying to throw a few names out there...

RAIDERFAN77 - Raiders
psuasskicker6 - Ravens
WonderPup - Vikings
LongHook - ???
malibu114 - Giants
DoctorBombay - Redskins/Ravens (I have yet to figure out how this is possible)
gettinbranded - Bears
patchdodd - Lions
pikapp383 - Rams
rinjr715 - Steelers
dakeyras - ??? (can't remember)
TheExpertNovice - ???
TheNajdorfDefens - Eagles
JimZipCode - Ravens
HOGridin - ???
mjdonadio - Jaguars
dcostello - Patriots

Obviously this is based on NFL interests. College is discussed here too, but not nearly in as much detail (though there really is a good bit of college football discussed here). Please add names and alliances as appropriate, or change mine if I screwed up...

- C -
Print the post Back To Top
Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9114 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ack! How could I have forgotten poor, forlorn Kenny? The one guy on the planet who's actually willing to admit he's a Bengals fan!

RAIDERFAN77 - Raiders
psuasskicker6 - Ravens
WonderPup - Vikings
LongHook - ???
malibu114 - Giants
gettinbranded - Bears
patchdodd - Lions
pikapp383 - Rams
rinjr715 - Steelers
TheExpertNovice - ???
JimZipCode - Ravens
HOGridin - ???
mjdonadio - Jaguars
dcostello - Patriots
mkenney1 - Bengals

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9115 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:51 PM
me=Buccaneers

Author: mkenney1 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9117 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:52 PM
Bengals - mkenney1

OK, I admit it. It's the first of 12 steps.

-Mike

Author: mkenney1 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9118 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:54 PM
Recommendations: 4

Bengals - mkenney1

And in typical Bengals' fashion, I had it backwards.

-Mike

Author: Jamoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9119 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 4:56 PM
jamoc - Bears

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9120 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 5:00 PM
"Bengals - mkenney1

And in typical Bengals' fashion, I had it backwards.

-Mike"

I rec'd it because you admitted to it. Don't sweat.......I know the feeling. Just look at when I started on Fool. The Joe Bugle era just ended.

Author: WonderPup Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9122 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 5:04 PM
This is a good thread. I've had some interest in starting an inventory. When the board population was smaller, it was easy to keep track of, but as the board has grown, my memory has faltered.

I'm actually going to add two more affiliations. I am, first and foremost, a Viking fan as Chris said. I grew up here, and my Grandpa in particular was a Vikings fan. That one is pretty simple.

My second most favorite team is the Dolphins. In part because of that AFC playoff game in 82 that is such a classic, but mostly because Dan Marino is my favorite player ever.

My third most favorite team is the Eagles. Mostly because my high school mascot was the Eagles, and since my town had three high schools, you tended to develop an affiliation to the high school sports fairly early. But when I started watching more football as a kid, I remember seeing Jaworski throw a TD on a flea flicker and I thought it was the coolest play ever devised in the history of football.

I would also throw in that I have some mild support for the Chargers, because they're the first team I ever saw try (and succeed with) an onside kick, and I thought that was pretty cool. That, and their colors matched my high school. I wouldn't really say I'm a "fan" per se, but had at least a mild affinity to them.

I also used the like the Bengals, for the simple reason that when I was in elementary school, every time we had to do a report for school, I found yet another type of cat to do for the report. I must have the largest collection of reports on leopards, cheetahs, ocelots, and yes, bengal tigers, of any kid that ever went to an elementary school. Luckily, I outgrew that, and now I'm obviously a dog person. (Go Timberwolves! Oops, wrong sport.)

That cat affinity never warmed me to the Lions though. After all, I am a Viking fan.

Anyone else? Any secondary affinities, not tied to where you grew up? If so, why?

--WP

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9123 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 5:04 PM
RAIDERFAN77 - Raiders
psuasskicker6 - Ravens
WonderPup - Vikings
LongHook - Ravens (by decree only, is really neutral)
malibu114 - Giants
gettinbranded - Bears
patchdodd - Lions
pikapp383 - Rams
rinjr715 - Steelers
TheExpertNovice - ???
JimZipCode - Ravens
HOGridin - ???
mjdonadio - Jaguars
dcostello - Patriots
mkenney1 - Bengals
bdluckyshot - Buccaneers
Jamoc - Bears

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9124 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 5:06 PM
Isn't zeegirly a Cowboys fan? chkNYC is Giants/Jets, right?

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9125 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 5:33 PM
mjdonadio - Jaguars

Well at least i don't hate the jaguars, but my team is the soon to be dethrowned superbowl champoin Patriots.

By default I have to be a Redskins fan because I am married to one. Another thread was talking about obsessive fans ... look no further than the team from DC.

Mark

Author: LongHook Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9126 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 6:27 PM
Anyone else? Any secondary affinities, not tied to where you grew up? If so, why?

Dude, of COURSE -- it's all about helmet design.

Let's see, growing up, I really liked the teams with cool looking helmets. That would be the Bengals, Eagles, Rams and Chargers.

I thought the 49ers, Pats, Steelers, Bears and Browns sucked because they had weak looking helmets. And, of course, the old Tampa Bay Bucs helmets...*shudder*

That was all the science I could put into being a fan at the age of, say, 10 =)

-Hook

Author: RAIDERFAN77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9127 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 6:27 PM
"RAIDERFAN77 - Raiders"

.......and you forgot ANYONE playing the broncos.

Author: LongHook Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9128 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 6:28 PM
LongHook - Ravens (by decree only, is really neutral)

Just for your benefit, this is how I feel about the Ravens:

- I like Ray Lewis
- I dislike Billick
- I liked Dilfer
- I like Newsome

Overall, I feel "average" about them. There's no one on that team I really root for these days though.

-Hook

Author: dakeyras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9129 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 6:57 PM
dakeyras - Pats

Other affinities are more transient.

I find myself rooting for the Bills as well now, but that is mostly a Bledsoe thing.

I root for the Rams because they were down for so long (competed with the Bengals for worst of the '90s until they blew up) and because I like Kurt Warner & Marshall Faulk.

In offering up sympathy for Bengals fans everywhere, you can at least say that they have been in more Superbowls than the Bears (and a lot of other teams).

Author: JimZipCode Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9130 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 7:11 PM
My second most favorite team is ... My third most favorite team is ...

If we get 2nd and 3rd faves, then I've always liked the 49ers. Well, until they fired Mooch anyway. Also a big Brett Favre fan. I also like any team that is rebuilding in an interesting and intelligent way. I find the process of rebuilding inherently fascinating.

Let's see, growing up, I really liked the teams with cool looking helmets. That would be the Bengals, Eagles, Rams and Chargers.

The whole tragedy with Indianapolis aside, there is no cooler NFL helmet than that of the Colts. You do know that so-called "horseshoe" is really a "U" for "Unitas", right?

Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9131 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 10:02 PM
WotPeed - Chargers

I'm a bit torn between the Chargers and the Steelers, but as there are a lot more Steeler fans out there and I live in San Diego I'll pick the Bolts.

I grew up in LA so I'm not really sure why I like the Steelers. I think it had to do with the Mean Joe Green defense and the fact that they were the dominant team when I was young. One of my first distinct football memories was when the LA Rams and Steelers met in the Super Bowl. My dad was a big Rams fan and I remember him being pretty pissed when I was rooting against them at the family SB party.

Wot

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9134 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/24/2003 11:59 PM
Please add names and alliances as appropriate

I'll let you change it, but renyag and gayner are Philly fans.

Donna

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9135 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 12:01 AM
I find myself rooting for the Bills as well now, but that is mostly a Bledsoe thing.

I found myself rooting for them as well this year for mostly the same reason.

Donna

Author: dcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9138 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 6:16 AM

I found myself rooting for them as well this year for mostly the same reason.

How can you guys root for the Bills if you are Pats fans? They are in the same division. I can see rooting for Bledsoe to do well, I did the same thing. I wanted him to succeed very much, but not at the expense of the Patriots.

Trading Bledsoe to a team in the same division could have been a disaster. As it turns out, the trade has worked out well for the the Patriots so far. We get a first round pick this year. This season we beat the Bills twice, Belichik seems to know exactly what he needs to do to take Bledsoe apart. And the Bills beat Miami twice, once in December, keeping the Patriots' division chances alive.

Of course this could all change next season, but at this point it is looking like a good trade.

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9139 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 10:43 AM
How can you guys root for the Bills if you are Pats fans?

I'm not a Pats fan. :-)

Donna

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9141 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 11:20 AM
crobinso - Redskins

Author: path40a Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9142 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
path40a - Shania Twain (to paraphrase "Man, I feel like having a woman ... her!;-)

But seriously, if no one will claim 'em, I'll take the Falcons.

After all, the team from the town I grew up in deserted "us" anyway. See, I grew up in St. Louis, learned to hate the Cowboys & Redskins (neither the Eagles nor Giants were much of a threat 25 years ago), and loved the Cardinals (at least, the baseball team). Ironically, when my folks retired and moved to Phoenix, Bill Bidwell (whose son went to school with my younger brother ... he was a jerk too) followed them ... they couldn't get away from bad pro (?) football ... LOL! When I came to Atlanta to become a helluva engineer, true to my Redbirds, I have never adopted the Braves even though they had a better '90s than my team did.

However, during Michael Vick's sensational play (in effectively his senior year of college!) this past season, I've found the pro football game again and think I'll be a fan for years to come. I thought my interest would wane after the Falcons were eliminated, but it hasn't ... I've watched all four games since and I'll be watching tomorrow night. BTW, after seeing Tampa's defense twice this season, I'd take the points if I were a betting man.

Glad I found this board too, it's a good one (and more active than my "Tennis Fools" too;-)

Author: gayner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9144 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 1:12 PM
Put me and renyag down as Eagle fans. We used to be Raiders fans when we lived out there, and still have a rootin' interest in the Black and Silver.

Author: zeegirly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9146 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 3:34 PM
Add your name and alliance to this list. In no way do I maintain this is a complete list...I'm just trying to throw a few names out there...

zeegirly - whoever is playing the cowboys

Author: zeegirly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9147 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 3:36 PM
Isn't zeegirly a Cowboys fan?

Talk about having it backwards! ;Þ

Zee

Author: PTdave Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9149 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/25/2003 11:28 PM
PTDave---the Cowboys (he states with his head hung low and a hint of shame in his voice)

Just wish Jerry wasn't such a jacka$$

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9150 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/26/2003 12:31 AM
chkNYC is Giants/Jets, right?

Yep. More Jets than Giants.

Christina

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9151 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/26/2003 12:38 AM

Yeah, I like the 49ers and the Dolphins - not sure why, may have something to do with the quarterbacks back when.

Your post reminded me that my three nephews all liked "out-of-state" teams when they were young. (They lived in NY.) The oldest one was a Ram fan, the middle one liked Atlanta and the youngest guy was a Dolphin fan. There never was any reason that I knew. Except the youngest guy thought Dan Marino was the greatest. I think he was great too - plus he is so cute!!!!

Christina

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9154 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/26/2003 4:22 AM
Recommendations: 2

PTDave---the Cowboys (he states with his head hung low and a hint of shame in his voice)

Just wish Jerry wasn't such a jacka$$

Clones - Cowboys fan.

I've been quiet lately, but that's because I don't have much to cheer about. :)

Author: malibu114 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9161 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/26/2003 2:41 PM
Clones - Cowboys fan.
I've been quiet lately, but that's because I don't have much to cheer about. :)

But just think, next year the Cowboys will probably play like a whole new team under Parcells, something I'm not looking forward to.

Donna
Giants fan

Author: clcunnin Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9190 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/27/2003 9:21 AM
I'm a Steelers fan.

Craig

Author: PhishLove Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9191 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/27/2003 9:30 AM
PhishLove : The New York Football Giants!

Author: HRS One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9193 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/27/2003 9:59 AM

Steelers

Author: dakeyras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9200 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/27/2003 11:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
How can you guys root for the Bills if you are Pats fans? They are in the same division. I can see rooting for Bledsoe to do well, I did the same thing. I wanted him to succeed very much, but not at the expense of the Patriots.

They only play each other twice, so it isn't really much of an issue.

Trading Bledsoe to a team in the same division could have been a disaster. As it turns out, the trade has worked out well for the the Patriots so far. We get a first round pick this year. This season we beat the Bills twice, Belichik seems to know exactly what he needs to do to take Bledsoe apart. And the Bills beat Miami twice, once in December, keeping the Patriots' division chances alive.

Another way of looking at this is that the Pats beat the Bills twice and kept them out of the playoffs (don't get too excited, they were 3-13 last year), the Bills beat Miami twice helping to keep them out of the playoffs which allowed the Pats to ... umm ... miss the playoffs also. I don't see how this is a sign that the trade is a good one.

The problem with that trade is the same thing that has been mentioned since the announcement that the trade happened, it strengthened the bottom part of the division and made it tougher to get through and into the playoffs. The Bills were still the weakest team, but they were 8-8 and had to be considered dangerous. Plus, there is no reason that they cannot take the next step from 8-8 to playoffs next year. The Pats suddenly have 3 teams in their division to worry about, and they helped make that happen.

Of course this could all change next season, but at this point it is looking like a good trade.

They need to get a starter with the #14 pick to even consider this a decent trade.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9223 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/27/2003 1:56 PM
Take a wild guess at mine.

Author: gettinbranded Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9257 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/28/2003 4:46 AM

Yeah---I have a soft spot for the Cowboys. They're my dad and grand-dads team. Both guys are lived and grew up just inside Louisiana's western state line with Texas...

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9260 of 96599
Subject: Re: Alliances Date: 1/28/2003 8:10 AM

I've been a Saints fan going back to the 'Aints days. I didn't have enough bad football teams in Detroit to root for in the middle eighties so I had to pick up another. Also I was a big Bobby Hebert fan from his Michigan Panther days so when he went to New Orleans that kind of sealed the deal.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement