UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76406  
Subject: Allocating Retirement accounts Date: 12/1/1999 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am copying a part of a post I made on the Index Fund board here, since it relates to retirement accts:

As a beginning investor, one of the first things I did after studying TMF and elsewhere was to transfer my Keogh from high front-load mutual funds to the VFINX during the past year or so. I also opened a Roth IRA, which is also in that same fund. I also rolled an old 401a plan into the VFINX. I am self-employed , 43 years old and a 'late start investor'.

I have been reading more on investing now, and am wondering about several things.

1)First, if anyone cares to comment on this, is it undesirable to have all those retirement accts in the same fund? The accountant who did our taxes this year said he thought it was a bad idea. I only did it as a first move.

2)Vanguard can do free transactions between their own funds. I don't know if this all I wish to do.

I have read about the Foolish Four beating the S&P for the past 25 years, but to invest in stocks, I would have to become the trustee of my own Keogh, which sounds confusing to me at this point....or I could roll the Keogh into a traditional IRA...and open a SEP to make new contributions from now on from my self-employment income. Or I could just decide how to allocate the Keogh within Vanguard only and then freeze it, and start a SEP. I don't know if 'freeze' means stops accruing, or only that all future contributions are stopped. The SEP permits a smaller contribution than the Keogh, that's why I originally opened a Keogh a few years ago through a broker. I never knew I would become interested and capable of investing on my own.

Thanks in advance for any comments. Meowiz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement