UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: DavidInTX Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75802  
Subject: Allocations across 401(k), taxable accounts Date: 1/12/2005 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Howdy fools -

This question is motivated by a column in the January, 2005 issue of Money magazine.

In the "Intelligent Investor" column (I think that's the one), Jason Zweig advocates favoring bonds over stocks in your 401(k) if you have investments in both a 401(k) and a traditional, taxable brokerage. The rationale is that interest income from bonds is taxable at up to 35%, depending on your tax bracket, while the maximum tax rate for capital gains is 15%.

By my reckoning, though, he's failing to factor in the fact that taxes are paid on the initial capital to be invested.

For example, assume that you have $1000 to invest, you're in the 35% tax bracket (both now and when you retire, for simplicity), you have 20 years until retirement, and your rate of return on the investment is 5% (i.e. you'll make the same investment either in your 401(k) or outside of it, the only question is where). My math looks something like this:

For the 401(k):
Available Investment $1000.00
Value at end $2653.30
Less income tax $928.65
Post-tax income $1724.64

For the non tax-advantaged account:
Available Investment $1000.00
Less income tax $350.00
Initial Contribution $650.00
Value at end $1724.64
Less initial contrib.
(already taxed) $650.00
Amount to be taxed $1074.64
Less cap gains tax $161.20
Cap gains retained $913.44
Plus initial principal $650.00
Post-tax income $1563.45

This analysis leads one to precisely the opposite conclusion advocated in the article.

So, my question is .... what am I missing?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement