Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6774  
Subject: Allowances & Chores Date: 9/11/1997 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Wow, what a lot of great advice and ideas in this folder. Makes me (almost) wish I could go back to my son's childhood and start all over again, only this time apply more Foolish principles to teaching him about investing his money.

As to allowances and how much to pay and at what age to start it... that really has to be determined by each child's temperament and the family dynamics. The kinds of chores that pile up are going to be different in a household with two working parents than it is for a house where one parent is home with a baby or toddler, or even home alone all day while the kids are in school.

In our house, there were always certain chores expected of our son with no remuneration attached to them. The chores changed or expanded as he matured, starting with picking up his toys when he was little, to complete cleaning, including vacuuming, of his room when he was older.

Expected (but not compensated) were: Anything associated with taking care of your own personal space and possessions. In our house this was non-negotiable. It started with keeping track of leggos, continued through removing dirty socks from under the bed before they grew into the carpet, locking up the bike, taking care of skis, and ultimately to changing the oil in his own car. Even though he paid for his first car, he needed to learn that buying a car is only one part of being responsible for owning one.

Expected, and paid for, were regular chores like feeding the pets, emptying litter box, taking out trash, emptying dishwasher, folding laundry. His base allowance was established for this set of chores, but neglect of either set could result in being docked.

Extra-income jobs were those that benefitted the whole family -- mowing lawn, weeding garden, trimming hedges, painting, reorganizing the garage/basement/attic, washing mom's car, raking leaves, etc. Fees were established for jobs like these and were his main source of extra income. Once he was 12 or 13, he sometimes got offers from neighbors willing to hire him after they witnessed what a good job he did on our property!

By 15, he was justifiably proud of a stone wall he built and a rock garden he designed. He had discovered that even "grunt work" can lead to creative expression and be a source of real accomplishment.

Jobs for kids will vary if you live in a city apartment, a suburban home or a rural farm. Each comes with their own chores specific to that setting and parents who are harried and tired need only start making a list of "Things that have to be done around here NOW"... to find lots of stuff, big and small, that the kids - big and small - can do to pull their weight as a contributing member of the family.

Oh yes, the reward for a mom? That huge grin you have to suppress when your kid comes home during the first college break and says, "do you know my roommate was, like, totally CLUELESS the first time he had to do his own laundry...sheesh...what a dork, had to show him how the washer works."

Sweet victory!

TMF Jeanie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41 of 6774
Subject: Re: Allowances & Chores Date: 9/11/1997 5:16 PM
<<sheesh...what a dork, had to show him how the washer works.'

Sweet victory!>>

Hey, easy there, Jeanie...

I was raised having lots of reponsibilities, chores, etc., but to this day, I've no clue about the laundry!

I'll shop.
I'll cook.
I'll vaccuum the pool.
I'll do a lot of things...but the wash I leave to the wife.

: )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42 of 6774
Subject: Re: Allowances & Chores Date: 9/12/1997 11:34 PM
<<I'll do a lot of things...but the wash I leave to the wife.>>

Swell, Tony.. but what's a guy to do before he HAS a wife? The way I see it, a guy has only two other choices:

1. Wear dirty clothes
2. Get his mom to do it

Since I wasn't predisposed to doing his laundry once he was old enough to vote, I figured a guy who's studying engineering could figure out how to pull the button and dial it to Perma Press.

And someday, if he EVER gets married, my daughter-in-law will be so grateful to me :-)

Jeanie

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 6774
Subject: Re: Allowances & Chores Date: 9/14/1997 12:07 PM
<<I figured a guy who's studying engineering could figure out how to pull the button and dial it to Perma Press.>>

Wait a sec....those things have buttons??...Heck, Jeanie, I think I'd just have to use the local cleaners.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: WoodyFool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 6774
Subject: Re: Allowances & Chores Date: 11/9/1997 2:44 PM
Jeanie,

Thank you very much for the great advice. I have a 6 month old daughter and know it will be a little while before I have to deal with those situations. However, the idea of cleaning up or taking care of "your own" space can start at an early age and will definately keep that in mind.

Aloha,
Woody

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement