Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DingBatAnnie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121700  
Subject: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 5:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 73
Do you ever get that funny feeling that sumptin ain't right???

At work, school, whatever, you're just goin along with the business of living, and all of a sudden, out of the blue, you just KNOW sumptin is wrong at home.

Sometimes, it's just a nagging feeling, as if you think you left the iron on.

Sometimes, it's a gut feeling that if you don't return home, RIGHT NOW, something terrible is going to happen.

That's what happened today.
There I was, totally enjoying my day out window shopping, and all of a sudden, it hit me, GO HOME NOW!!!

When I was younger, my Mom and I went school clothes shopping when I got that "feeling".
I tried to tell her something was wrong, but, being an adult, she didn't listen.

When we got home, we found that a car, being chased by police, had crashed into our house. When we got off the bus, I was already screaming my brother's name, and trying to tell the firemen that he was in the house. (he had cut class that day)

Thankfully, one fireman DID listen to a hysterical child, and my brother was saved.

Since then, I have gotten that "feeling" only 4 times in my life, and each time, it has been something catastrophic.

So, when I get that "feeling" I tend to obey it.
I don't remember driving home, and I don't remember the policeman trying to stop me from going into the backyard. And I don't remember kicking him, but, he says I did.

I do remember pushing someone out of my way, and running to the backyard. And I do remember the look in the stranger's face.

He was terrified.

It was the sight of the blood that stopped me. All down his face, his right arm and hand, and his left pants leg.

That's when I heard her. My sweet, lovable, wouldn't KNOW how to hurt a fly, Gussie.

She was on the porch, standing in a way that I had never seen. All four legs totally stiff, a strip of fur from her head to her stub standing straight up.
And she was growling. A growl low down in her throat and chest, that I had never heard before.

She had cornered this guy in the small space between the porch and the side fence, and she was NOT letting anyone near, or him to get away.

She also had blood on her head and down her legs.

There was so much noise. Policemen, firemen, animal Control guys, neighbors, and all seemed to be talking or yelling at once. So much noise.

And all that confusion. It seemed to me that everyone was just making it worse with trying to "talk" to Gussie, guns out, long poles with wire loops and tranquilizer guns.

So, I did what every Mother does when her child is in danger. I told the Animal Control people to back off, or I would "personally stick that pole down your throat, and pull it out your a**".

I went up to the nearest policeman, and told him to help me get everyone to shut up.

It took a couple of minutes, but, it finally got quiet. As quietly as I could, I walked toward my Gussie, and tried to get close to her. That's when I got a good look at the cut on her head, just above her right ear.

As softly as I could, I went to her, talking calmly, even though I wanted to kill the a**hole that hit her.
And all the while, I was wondering, "where's the babies??"

It took ten minutes, but, finally, she calmed down enough for the police to take the scumbag away.

She wouldn't let anyone near her but me. And she kept going to the gate and whining. More like pacing to the gate actually, and whining, and growling, and then pacing back to me. That's when I asked the Animal Control guy "where are the pups?". All I got was a "what are you talking about?".

That's when I knew. So I asked a policman to clear the front yard.

He never got a chance.

There she was, pacing back and forth, whining, and growling at anyone who got near her, when all of a sudden she stopped, tilted her bloody head, whoofed once and took off.

Ever see a Boxer in a flat out run?? It's beautiful.

Not one part of her body touched the 5 foot fence.
She cleared that gate as if it were 2 foot tall.

And she ran. Ran to the end of the block, with about 20 people behind her, panting to keep up.

At the end of the block was a red van. She stopped dead, and started this incredible growling, snarling, barking, racket.

When the rest of us caught up to her, everyone could hear the yipps and yapps coming from inside the van.

The Babies. Gussies babies were in that van. MY babies were in that van.

That scumbag had tried to steal my Gussie's babies. And my Gussie had stopped him, even after he hit her with a piece of firewood.

It's nighttime now, and everything has calmed down.
The babies are safe, sleeping under my feet, with Gussie laying nearby, not sleeping, just looking at the babies, and sometimes, she'll come up to me, put her head in my lap, and give a big sigh.

The police called a little while ago, saying that they found no bites on the scumbag, just scratches. So, my Gussie won't have to go into quarantine.

They also said that the scumbag confessed to trying to steal the babies. Seems there is a place not too far out of town, that pays for young dogs, to be trained for pit fighting.

Gussie's alright, a small cut above her ear, that bled alot, because it was a head wound. The vet checked them all out, gave Gussie 2 stitches, and the pups some treats.

A guy from Animal Control called also, he wanted to know how extensive her guard training is, and where she was trained.
I had to tell him that she had never been trained.
I don't think he believed me.

We, you and I, know what training she's had, don't we?

The best training of all. LOVE

Love for her babies.

It's getting late, and frankly, I've been drinking, so I hope you forgive me for rambling on.

The windows are closed, the door locked, and all's well that ends well.

Even though I'm still shaking inside.

Tomorrow, I go down to the police station and make a statement, and press charges against the scumbag.

But, for right now, I'm going to finish my drink, gather up my owners and we're all going to sleep in my bed. And if they want, they can even get under the covers with hubby and me.

It's going to be long time before I leave my owners home alone again....

Is it just me? Or is this world going to hell in a hand basket? How can someone steal puppies, and train them to kill other dogs? I'm sorry, to me that is just SICK and absolutly, totally, EVIL!

did you know that if my Gussie were a mutt, I wouldn't be ABLE to press charges???!!! But, since she's a purebred Boxer....how wrong is that?? nevermind, don't try to answer that. I KNOW how wrong that is.

Annie
who is now officially, disgustingly, tipsy, and disgusted with the world in general.
how can I tell I'm tipsy?? It's taken me almost 2 hours just to correct my spelling.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: oldaugie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9133 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 7:25 AM
Recommendations: 1
Unbelievable! My heart goes out to you and to Gussie. Do they give out purple hearts for dogs? If ever a dog deserved one it is Gussie.

I hope you can really NAIL!!!! the guy who tried to steal 'em. Not just for the stealing but for hitting Gussie with the piece of wood.

Sheesh.

Carolyn
**Thinking I'd like to have a few minutes with him and a big stick myself!

Author: SBDmama Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9134 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 7:27 AM
Dear Annie:
If anyone hurt my dog I would kill him. Simple as that. I am glad everyone is ok.

Baron& Mama

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9135 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 8:12 AM
OMG Annie!

I'm so sorry about what happened. You are right in your disgust. I am so shocked and angry right now by this whole story I don't know what to say.

A Mother's love is the strongest adrenalineand when someone threatens her babies and God help the person that tries to hurt her kids because it's pure instinct in humans and animals to protect.

Give the pups and Gussie some extra hugs for all of us here.

Deannda
And give yourself an extra one too {{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9136 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 8:33 AM
Oh my God, Annie!

That is horrible! I'm so glad everything turned out ok. Thank goodness you got "one of those feelings". Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't been there for Gussie.

I hope you can nail that guy's a** to the wall. Is there any way to shut down the place that buys dogs for pit training? Any way this guy can give enough evidence against them? They're the real problem. Scum like this wouldn't be out stealing dogs if these places didn't have a market for them.

What a crazy law - you can only prosecute if someone steals purebreds? Aren't mixed breeds considered "property" under the law too? You can't steal someone's property.

We had our Pek-a-Poo stolen out of our back yard when I was a little girl. We had him tied out on a chain while we went out shopping for a few hours. Poor Nussie (short for "Nuisance"). It wouldn't have been for pit fighting - I always wondered if he ended up in some test lab somewhere.

What a wonderful dog Gussie is. I'm so glad to hear all the pups & Gussie are ok. Give them lots & lots of hugs.

Laura

Author: tashak2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9138 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 9:35 AM
Just in case there's some sort of plea bargain arrangement on pup stealing for info on dog fighting place, do consider pressing charges on trespassing, animal cruelty, and anything else that will work (even other warrants/driving without license/unpaid parking tickets, unregistered/uninsured vehicle, etc.) So glad you went home when you did....

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9139 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 9:59 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thank heavens for "those feelings"

I have to say, I have always thought that Gussie was a pretty dang smart dog, but this nails it - she has got to be the sharpest dog I have ever heard of.

Give her and the pups a huge hug from me.

Cindy

Author: TMFVW Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9141 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 11:13 AM
Oh jeez. I am so glad it all turned out okay. My post would be pulled if I told you what should be done to people like that.

I just don't understand.

How did this dipweed know you had puppies? Case your neighborhood? Does he know one of your neighbors and perhaps heard of them? What an as-- whoop. There I go again, getting profane.

I really, really, really hope you help make this a memorable experience for him.

Susan

Author: Casey9499 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9142 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 11:18 AM
i am so sorry you had to go through that and so glad that everyone is fine!

Author: DeltaDog2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9143 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 11:24 AM
Oh Annie!!

I don't even know what to say.... I am SO glad for that "feeling" (which I too have experienced a few times in my life)... for your gut instinct, for your wonderful Gussie, for the police listening to you and not hurting Gussie even more.

And so, so angry and sick and sad that someone like that man who stole the puppies even exists, nevermind that there is no way he will get the punishment he deserves for what he has done.

I'm so so sorry but I am so glad that everyone is (or will be) ok. My heart goes out to you and Gussie and the babies today.

Nikki

Author: lazyglen One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9144 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 11:41 AM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you and poor Gussie. Thank God you have learned to listen to your inner voice. If there is anything we can do PLEASE let us know, I'm sure you have non-cyber friends who will support you, but those of us you have never met are here as well.

LAzyGlen,
Wishing for better words to express sympathy, and 5 minutes alone with the scum-bucket.

Author: timsah Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9148 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 12:27 PM
Congrats to Gussie! What a dog! And I am very relieved everything turned out well for you all. Go talk to the attorney or whatever and find out everything you can charge the guy with - I agree with whomever said that. Attach every charge possible, as, sadly, the punishment for other things, like trespass, etc., is usually worse than for hurting/stealing a dog. After all, they are only chattel, you know.

Take care!

timsah
and Timsah, Bennie and Kallie

Author: prenner Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9151 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 12:55 PM
Wow, what a story. I'm glad your family has survived pretty much intact. Even thugh you may feel (and we all feel) that this dirtbag deserves life in prison, don't expect too much from our court system. It will be viewed as if he was walking out of your house with a TV or such.

I have always found that people generally get what they deserve, so if your dog snatcher doesn't get just punishment by way of our justice system life will even the score with him one way or another.

Now you know for sure what a great dog Gussie is. She deserves the Rin Tin Tin / Lassie award for heroism.

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9152 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 1:09 PM
What a story!
What a wonderful mother!
How right you were to trust your gut feeling and rush home!
Right, charge the jerk with everything you can think of. Start with any vet bill for stitching Gussie's ear. Attempted robbery, of course, and trespassing.
Fortunately the only damage done was to Gussie's head, and hopefully that will heal promptly. Also hopefully he will learn a lesson. And if the pit trainers can be put out of business that would nip the cause in the bud.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: Treetopflyer One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9155 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 2:12 PM
Another possibility to shut down the training school. If the police will tell you where it is, contact the Humane Society, PETA, ASPCA, and let their organizations work to shut it down.

I am so happy to hear everything turned out okay (relatively).

Treetopflyer

Author: Beejayw1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9183 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 5:58 PM
They also said that the scumbag confessed to trying to steal the babies. Seems there is a place not too far out of town, that pays for young dogs, to be trained for pit fighting.

<delurk>
Way to go Gussie! And way to go, DingBat! I'd have been drunk, too.

It is amazing what people will do; and it's a shame that the creeps get more attention than the good guys.

As to the quote, above, please note that the vermin that do that sort of training like to snatch cats to use to 'bait' the dogs. That, my friends, is why when Boomer or BJ are outside, they're in a harness at the end of a leash. And I'm at the other end.

God bless Gussie, and God bless you!

Beej
</delurk>

Author: eastender Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9184 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 6:24 PM
Annie

That is the most unbelievable story I have heard in a long time. Thank God you went home!!! Gussie deserves a story in every magazine in the country. I would have wanted to kill the ba****d on the spot.

Bad as this all seems it may have been God's way of saving 17 more dogs from the hands of these bestial people. Something good came from it all in the end.

Bravo to you and Gussie!!!!

Jean and Zoe (who sends a few airborn 360's in support)

Author: DiabloQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9198 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/2/2000 7:33 PM
Oh jeez. I am so glad it all turned out okay. My post would be pulled if I told you what should be done to people like that.

Yep.

I really, really, really hope you help make this a memorable experience for him.

Maybe you could meet with the county prosecutor to go over what he/she will charge the scumbag with. See if there's anything you can do to help nail the creep with more charges.

So glad everyone's ok! Give that Gussie a bone! (and have a nice beverage of your choice, too)

-- Fran

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9208 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/3/2000 1:09 AM
Geez, Annie,

Just reading this story made me start shaking! I'm so glad you listened and went home. Gussie is simply amazing!

As for the a&*%$@e, I hope you can get everything to stick. If the animal control people and the cops haven't already arrested the people at the "training school," I'd sure want to know why.

I also hope this story garners some media attention so other people in your area become aware of what's been happening. I'm sure there's more people missing their pups, too.

Thank God and Gussie everyone's OK.

Judi

Author: DogLovingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9270 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/4/2000 1:34 PM
Wow. That is awful! I am so glad it worked out. But why was the scumbag back in your yard if he had all the puppies? Was he going after Gussie? She is quite a heroine! Give her extra treats, and the pups too. Prosecute that guy out the wazoo too!

DLF-- PS. DH thinks you may be able to prosecute if they were not purebred but that it would only be a misdemeanor offense. I hope you get to press federal charges against him!!

Author: Vkane Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9394 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/7/2000 1:06 AM
Please follow the advice of some of the other posters and alert the Humane Society, SPCA and/or other animal welfare organizations. Your dogs thankfully were saved but it sounds like there are others being abused right now.

Also you can try posting contact information for the police department, animal control, and district attorney (or appropriate law office) to the web. I've seen many email, phone, mail campaigns to pressure these organizations to crack down on animal abuse. There are alot of people on the web who will be happy to mount a campaign to help draw attention to this dog fighting problem.

I'm very relieved you were in time to save your dogs. I hope this guy is punished to full extent of whatever meager laws apply.

Good luck, Val.

Author: Matilda Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9486 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/10/2000 9:31 AM
Oh Annie, I am sorry I have been so long in replying to your post. I have been moving. What a story! I thank God you came home to save Gussie and the pups. What a wonderful Gussie!

How sad you can't leave your dogs in your own back yard. This terrifies me for my own dogs.

M

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9587 of 121700
Subject: Re: Almost Stolen. Date: 10/12/2000 3:23 AM
Annie:
Congratulations to you and Gussie for a job well done. You not only saved your babies, but you'll put that creep behind bars (hopefully), which could/should result in shutting down the fight ring and saving who knows how many more dogs.
Thank you!
Lucy
owned by Honey

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement