Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Re: What is a FIRE Wannabee? Date: 8/7/2003 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
alright dad you would be proud. I said earlier on the REHP that I was thinking about the STA-21 program. For you non-miltary types that is an enlisted to officer program. My major hang up is my Boss. He is an idiot. he is the senior officer in our department(reactor) and he is a heart attack man.

Allright Nick. I may be older than you, but I think it's more like a big brother age difference, not father and son. <grin>

I vote to go for an Officer program. When I reported to my first duty station in Panama after my electronic schools, the Master Chief pushed me to put in for the BOOST program. That was/maybe still is an enlisted to Officer program for young folks. I turned him down on applying.

When I received my Bachelor degree at my next command, my CO called me into her office and encouraged me to apply for OCS. I didn't.

When I reported to my next command, the CO eventually called me into his office after hearing about me and tryed to get me to apply for OCS. I didn't.

I was and still am hard headed. Initially, I didn't have enough gump to really want to be an Officer. Then, it was more like I'm getting out of the Navy no matter what.

So, I became a civilian, but since I didn't want to throw away 9 1/2 years of active duty I kept my Navy ties by going into the Reserves.

Still, I thought about becoming an Officer. I was told that to apply for OCS with the Reserves, I almost had to have a Masters degree. I was told by an Officer Recruiter for active duty that he thought I had a great chance of getting accepted for OCS for active duty.

I tested on 9/12/01. Yep, the day after 9/11. I think that would have helped my chances as the place where I tested was closed, but since I had driven several hours to get there, they gave me the test and I scored well on it.

I thought long and hard about applying for OCS after hearing my score. The recruiter pretty much, but not completely, guaranteed that I could get accepted.

My love for the area I'm in plus the love for my kids caused me to not finish the application process. There are pros and cons to everything, and for me personally I felt and still believe that it was best for me to become a civilian. This is almost 100% due to the fact that I have kids.

Now, on the other hand, both of my sons know about the Navy, the Naval Academy, NROTC and OCS. I'll let you know in the years to come what happens with this.

Bottom line, Nick. If you are eligible to apply for an Officer program, you would be foolish not to. You can still do your time, even if it's 6 more years, and get out. But, why do like me and get out as an E-6, when you could get out as an O-3? Plus, I will retire from the Reserves as an E-7, but if I could have made O-3 on active, gotten out and let's say made O-5 in the Reserves, I would have a much nice pension.

Nick, stay Navy and go Officer. Bad bosses are everywhere. Don't let them defeat you, but go for the gold and become a good boss yourself. In the meantime, keep planning to FIRE and leave the workforce at a fairly young age.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement