UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mithrandiryod Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Question about my investment strategy. Date: 9/16/2008 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Alright, Thank you for the remarks on the market. I'm certainly not putting anything in at the moment, but I'm talking about an investment plan for the future. Looking at it now, those numbers for a standard investment account do seem rather ludicrous. I am however focusing more on funding my ROTH and Emergency Fund First. However, your comments raise another question, I did not know that the ROTH could be withdrawn penalty free. I was under the impression this was not possible with any IRA unless you were using the proceeds for Education or for first time home purchasing. I know that you can pull your money if you want, but I was under the impression that penalties would be incurred. Even if I could withdraw penalty free, I would only do so in the event of last resort, as I would with a standard IRA.

My Question then becomes, is this a good investment profile in terms of diversification at my age? Also I am currently investing with Firstrade for my investment accounts. They have $6.95 trades, but don't allow all of the investments that I would want during my research of some TMF recommendations. Should I stay with this Broker or should I be looking elsewhere?

As far as the market goes, I understand it's down, but I'm not here to totally knee jerk. I'd like to think I'm in for the long haul on my IRA. That doesn't mean I won't bail, but I just don't know when I should. I know that the economy heading for a "recession" is a pretty good indication. I know losing 25% of my investment is a pretty good indication, I just don't know when the market will go up, and I would like to think I have a good deal of risk tolerance being younger. That said I'm not putting anything into the market right now, I'm just not taking anything out.

-mith

PS: Sorry for the long post, and in answer to a previous question, My employer doesn't have a Retirement Plan so I went ahead and started my own, hoping with the power of compounding and starting early, I'll have a decent nest egg by the time I'm ready to stop work.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement