Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: polarg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: Re: Not Impressed Date: 2/27/2005 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Also, a store owner in a niche market should realize that people in his niche talk to one another. They belong to clubs. They meet together. They talk on the Internet. Recommendations for or against such establishments bear enormous weight among close-knit (pardon the pun) groups such as crafters.

I'm a small business owner, too, though I sell services rather than products. I've worked in various aspects of the retail and service industries for the better part of ten years. There is not a single company that would have allowed me to do what they have done. Additionally, the store is in a very high income area...the town of Brookline (and Brookline Village in particular) are very affluent...as in, the houses haven't drpped below $500k in over 15 years and these days are generally in the area of $1 mil. It's also a high-foot-traffic area (great for a yarn or craft store) near public transportation, an Orthodox Jewish temple, and two public schools (all very good potential markets).

An imperfect product, just like any broken object, can be written off as a business loss.

Well....see...here's the thing: I had a friend that owned a yarn store (incidently in the same neighborhood as this one) years ago. She closed it because of child care issues and a concern for the quality of the life of her children, but as I recall, she routinely sent damaged product back to the manufacturer. In fact, she told me it was the only time that manufacturers would take yarn back. Otherwise, it's all final sale. And in the case of damaged product, the manufacturer replaces it. So in addition to the manager trying to make the store's cost of doing business my cost for them doing business, he also (possibly) lied to me.

The thing that I really don't get is why they wouldn't be concerned that it was on more than 1 skein. It waas on the two that inspected out of the 4 that I purchased. That would indicate that the shipment was likely damaged, not the particular skein. Additionally, when dealing with wool, when things start to fray and fall apart like that, it's not such a bad idea to look around for a pest problem. I had improperly stored a project last year and lost four afgan quares to mice. (Yuck!)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement