Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25869  
Subject: Re: 401K savings Date: 12/28/2004 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Also, if you're planning on retiring early, I think putting these contributions into a taxable account might make sense. You can't touch this money in the 401(k) until you're 59 1/2 without penalties. You'll want some liquidity to live off of between retirement and that age, yes?

A common misconception, and totally untrue. You can roll it over into a traditional IRA after you retire, and take 72(t) distributions, or SEPP. Check out IRS Publication 590 for more info.

That being said, having a taxable account instead of utilizing your after-tax 401k would probably be a better move as you have the freedom to do just about anything with that money. By utilizing the after-tax 401k that your employer allows, you're limiting yourself to just the investment choices your employer chooses. In a taxable account, YOU get to choose where it goes!!!

BTW, I would funnel as much of that after-tax 401k into your Roth contributions, if you're eligible.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.