Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Also, there is disagreement in the comments about whether this can be done in each IRA or perhaps also in differing spousal IRAs.

I didn't include more quote, so for clarity, "this" above means calculating UBTI and determining whether a return is due.

There are varying schools of thought, none well attended. Some say you must aggregate everything then analyze. I maintain that it's account by account since each is a distinct legal entity. None of us has anything solid backing up our opinions, IOW the IRS has issued nothing beyond forms and instructions.

So, I continue to advise that MLP's in IRAs aren't a big problem, but repeat that it's more tax advantageous to hold them in a taxable account until you die, making full use of the tax-free cash cow nature of their distributions.

I do NOT roll my eyes. Well, not often, and then I try to do it when I'm off camera. I'm actually glad you posted the link since I learned something useful in the part of it that I read. I've always assumed that custodians will fee you blind for preparing a UBIT return, but I learned that at least one does it for nothing.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement