No. of Recommendations: 1
Also with option B, it appears you need to be more flexible in calendar scheduling and plan farther out, but the advantage to B over A is that there are often more resorts and more capacity through timeshares than through traditional hotels and resorts in some locations. What I am saying is that for example, Hilton may have one resort on Miami Beach, but chances are very good there are a wide variety of different timeshares available.

I don't think you need to be that much more flexible with option B. While there are more properties in the general market than there are with any one timeshare company, timeshare companies do have lots of options. To use your example of Miami Beach, Hilton has several (timeshare as well as hotel) properties in that area. In addition, if you have a Hilton timeshare, RCI properties are available to you as well.

If you're looking for last minute reservations in a popular area, neither option A or B are that great. Option A will mean paying exorbitant prices and option B will mean not finding any vacancies.

Also, looking for opinions and experiences with A vs. B as the most cost effective option over time - I realize there are many variables (buying a deluxe unit, vs. cheap unit, location) - just looking for an overall idea if B really can be more cost effective than A *generally speaking*.

I think cost-effectiveness depends on how you travel. For people who travel a lot and to expensive places but make plans well in advance, option B is probably more cost-effective. Let's say you pay $10K for resale timeshare and let's look at a ten year period for the sake of easy math and annual fees of $500/yr. That means you've paid $15K over ten years which is $1500/yr for travel. If you're taking multiple "nice" vacations per year, you can easily spend more than $1500 on lodging. To provide a point of reference, for my honeymoon in June, I spent six days at a wonderful Hilton resort in Mexico where the room rate was $279 (?)/night.

-Steph
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement